Gear List - 4 day trip - sub 12lb baseweight

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
sparklehorse

Re: Gear List - 4 day trip - sub 12lb baseweight

Post by sparklehorse » September 5th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:In the meantime, I will see if some other items can be tweaked. I didn't need enough duct tape on my trekking poles to tape up the whole wilderness, and there are undoubtedly a number of other bits and pieces that can be made smaller. While the fleece gloves are nice and cozy, I could get by with my old polypro glove liners which weigh half as much. An ounce here, an ounce there, maybe I'll eventually make up for the weight of the PLB and the Crocs!
That's the spirit Granny! You go girl! I know some folks have probably read this thread and laughed (or at least giggled) at the apparent anguish involved in choosing one item over another just to save an ounce or two of weight. And make no mistake, there is anguish! But I think that process is really two thirds of the battle of getting your base pack weight down into the sub-20lb range or even sub-10lb while remaining acceptably comfortable and safe. It all adds up as they say, and nowhere do you realize the benefit of that truism more than when you start scrutinizing every single item you take with you into the wild. Part of that just comes with experience. Heck it took me three years to figure out I never actually used the two-pound binoculars I religiously took with me on my first backpack trips. Then the frying pan went. Then the extra bottle of fuel I never used. You get the idea. But it really does all add up.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

fettster

Post by fettster » September 5th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:This survey omits Black Diamond, which can't be bothered to show weights on its website.
Grannyhiker, you need to click the "Go" button next to "Details" on each BD product page to find the weight info. I had trouble finding that information too a while back until I figured that out.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 5th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Yes, I finally found that but not until I'd zoomed up the magnification of my screen extra big! Now it's Leki that's in my black books for not listing the weights for their 2007 "Ultralight Ti" series. Actually none of these contain any titanium; they're all aluminum.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 5th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Sometimes it's anguish shaving the ounces; sometimes there's a deliberate choice to carry something heavier to be more comfortable. The larger tarptent is an example. This is something I didn't realize before my rainy trip in Colorado. Despite the fact that I've been doing this since I was 6, I learn something new on every trip!

On the other hand, once my pack weight gets over about 22-23 pounds, I suffer for it. It's not my back, even though I have a history of low back problems. My pack is very comfortable and quite supportive. It's my bum knee (I ripped most of the ligaments while X-C skiing 20 years ago, and while my surgeon did a great job, it's not 100%) and my deformed feet (mostly a matter of genetics--my mother had the same problems and so do a couple of my children) that scream. This is why I'm trying to shave more weight off, so I can go out for longer periods with less discomfort. Overnighters, with about 18 pounds, are great. But I'd like to go out for 8-9 days occasionally. As is obvious, though, I'm not willing to sacrifice much comfort or any safety to achieve the weight goal. The result is, obviously, a compromise.

MarkInTheDark

Post by MarkInTheDark » September 6th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Thanks for all the excellent posts! I've learned very much from you guys!

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 13th, 2008, 2:29 am

Update on lightening my load: I'm not quite down to Sparklehorse's 12 lbs., but I'm getting very close. I'm hoping this info will help others to see where they can reduce weight even when they think they couldn't possibly go any lighter.

I found Leki "Carbonlite" trekking poles on sale (25% off) at Altrec. com (in Redmond, OR). They weigh 13 oz, 6 oz. less than my old poles. So far, no problems with them, and they certainly feel a lot lighter.

So far I'm doing fine dayhiking in trail runners instead of boots. I do need to go out on rough trails with a 25 lb. pack, though, to be sure. If the trail runners don't work then, there are a few "Mid" shoes, especially Keen, that come just over the ankle and weigh about the same as the Montrail Hardrock trail runners. Hopefully one of these fits--I notice the Keen Mids are supposed to have a wide and high toe box, which is what I need, and bunion sufferers (of which I'm one) seem to like them. I find, though, that the stiff structure of the Hardrocks supports my ankle just as well as a higher shoe--it's almost impossible to turn an ankle with them. Close to a 1-lb. saving in skin-out weight over the boots, whichever one I end up using. With the lighter poles, a total skin-out weight saving of 22 oz.

The other items come from my pack weight. Cutting an ounce or two here and there does ultimately add up to a couple of pounds!

I will switch to a Petzl e+Lite for summer backpacking--it's only 1 oz., and has a little longer battery life than the Black Diamond Ion that Sparklehorse uses. I will continue to use my old Princeton Tec headlamp for fall and spring when the nights are longer but I also don't go out for more than 2-3 days. I suspect that in a few years there will be all kinds of 1-oz. headlamps that are a big improvement over current technology.

For longer trips, when alone, I'll use chemical disinfection (Katdyn MicroPur tablets) instead of the ULA Amigo Pro gravity filter. If I hike where there are not frequent water sources, this won't save weight because I would have to carry more than a liter of water at a time to allow for disinfection time. I mostly backpack where there is frequent water, though, so it's usually not an issue. If I do do a desert-style trip, I'll probably take the filter.

I will omit one shoulder strap pocket and carry the contents (snack, sunscreen, hand sanitizer) in the outside pockets of my pack. This will save only 0.25 oz., but it is sure a lot easier to get the pack on and off when there's a pocket on only one pack shoulder strap. It's the second pocket that tends to get caught up and stuck under the shoulder strap, resulting in wasted time and bad language. The one pocket (for my camera) works fine as long as I put that shoulder strap on first.

Lighter Titanium pot (550 ml) for solo travel, saving 2 oz. I got the big one (1300 ml) to use when taking out the grandkids, but it's too big (never mind the weight saving) for solo travel--my stove and other cooking stuff rattle around in the bigger one. I don't cook, just boil water to rehydrate dried food in a freezer bag. I'm not too fond of spending the extra money, but since I do want to take more long solo backpacks, it will be worth it.

Tent: I have a choice of three 2-person tents, any of which will cut 9-10 oz. from the weight of my Tarptent Squall 2:
Gossamer Gear Squall Classic--supposed to be available in Dec. or Jan.
Six Moon Designs Refuge (the silnylon version)
Anti-Gravity Gear O2 tarptent
All three are about the same weight. I just need to decide which one works best for me and my dog Hysson and will provide both protection from the elements and sufficient ventilation. The Gossamer Gear tent is made of spinnaker fabric; the other two of silnylon. Before I decide, I will take a trip to Beaverton to look at the SMD Refuge. I will then order the other two at the same time, try them out in the back yard and decide which one (or both) to send back. By making sure I send them back well before the billing date cutoff of my credit card, I will be out only the return shipping cost. Between the proceeds from selling my Lunar Solo and (once I'm satisfied with one of the above three tents) the Squall 2, I will be out only about $100 including shipping cost for whichever tent I buy.

I eliminated a few items from my first-aid and toilet articles that I didn't use on my long trips last summer. If you think about it a while, it's amazing what you can improvise for more serious injuries (sticks or trekking poles for spints, bandanna, extra socks and the inevitable duct tape for bandaging, etc.) without having to take extra stuff specifically for the purpose. I do take more bandaids than most people because I seem to get lots of small cuts and scrapes on my hands that tend to get infected if not bandaged promptly with antibiotic ointment.

Clothing: I will try using Capilene 2 instead of Capilene 4 for my base layer, which saves several ounces. It will be less bulky, so I can keep them (and extra socks) in the same dry bag as my sleeping bag, saving another ounce. I suspect I'll need the Capilene 4 for trips high in the Rockies, though, where the nights are colder than in the Cascades in summer. I'll experiment this winter on below-freezing nights in the back yard. (Nights that are below freezing, but not with Troutdale's semi-arctic east winds.)

I'll also experiment with eliminating the pack cover. If the pack gets soggy on the outside, I can use my sleeping bag dry bag (stuffed full of pack contents) for a pillow and put the empty pack in the tent vestibule--at least that's the theory at this point. Or I could get a lighter pack cover, which would save about 1.5 ounces. If it's just to keep the pack dry for use as a pillow, the pack cover seems excessive.

With these small changes, my base weight will drop to 13 lbs., giving me the option of going out for 10 days with skin-out weight (that's everything I wear or carry, except my denture :D) of just under 30 lbs. And for a week, it will be several pounds less. Even with some of the cuts (like the water filter) added back for shorter trips, I'll be able to go out for a 2-nighter for about 17 lbs. total pack weight.

I also need to feel a little less guilty about having Hysson carry a few of my items in his doggy pack. After all, I carry all of his shelter (a 2-person tent is necessary, I've found, when sharing with an 80-lb. dog) and all of his first aid! So giving him 1 to 1.5 lbs. of my stuff in return is not a big deal. Even with 10 days' dog food, he won't be carrying too much weight, assuming, of course, that I take him on a lot of training hikes with the pack to build up his muscles and toughen his pads. I haven't included that possibility in the weight savings mentioned above. If we take a trip with long spells between water sources, though, I won't do this because he'll need to carry plenty of water for himself.

Finally, I could shed another 15 lbs. from under my skin (i.e., lose weight) which would take that much more off my feet when hiking. That's another goal I will try to accomplish by next spring.

I'll report back a year from now on the new gear items (not all of which I've bought yet) once I've had a chance to test them. I doubt that I'll ever get down to the magical "ultralight" barrier of 10 lbs., but I have gotten a lot closer!