Cheap Alcohol Stove Fuel

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Thomas M

Cheap Alcohol Stove Fuel

Post by Thomas M » August 13th, 2008, 9:29 am

This is another saver's tip. I've used Heet in the yellow bottle in my popcan alcohol stove. It cost about $1.50 for 12 ounces. However, I've also just tried a product that I bought at Big Lot's called Racer's Formula Gas Treatment in a bright red 12 ounce bottle. It seems to work just fine and it only costs 90 cent for 12 ounces. The label says it contains methyl alcohol, but I think it IS denatured methyl alcohol. Give it a try. It is another cheap alternative to the more spendy brand name. If Big Lots doesn't have any in stock, check back later to see if they have reshelved it. Stange as it may seem these days, this product is made in the U.S.A., Medina, Minnesota,

Prayer from Eckhardt Tolle: "God, make me the person that my dog thinks I am"

bcostley

Re: Cheap Alcohol Stove Fuel

Post by bcostley » August 13th, 2008, 9:42 am

Methyl alcohol is one of the things that can be used to denature ethyl alcohol (methyl alcohol is poisionous). I just buy denatured alcohol at the hardware store. I think it is in the ball park of $3 for a quart.