Which bag is better - WM 20 or Marmot Helium 15?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Grannyhiker

Re: Which bag is better - WM 20 or Marmot Helium 15?

Post by Grannyhiker » September 21st, 2010, 7:49 am

Most high quality bags have a stiffening strip built into the zipper placket to (supposedly) help prevent snagging. While I wouldn't buy a bag without the stiffener, having it certainly doesn't mean you'll never snag the fabric in the zipper! Having once had a bag with no stiffener, I can tell you that if it isn't there, you'll catch the fabric in the zipper every other time you zip up instead of occasionally!
Last edited by Grannyhiker on September 24th, 2010, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raveneditions

Post by raveneditions » September 23rd, 2010, 9:09 pm

If you want to save money, REI's own SubKilo is trying to be a bag in the same game as these two. I'm sure it is not equal to them, but is reasonably good and I think I got one when it was on sale for around $139. $159? Well under $200, anyway.
"well man I just don't feel right without something on my back"
—Gary Snyder, back in the day

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 24th, 2010, 12:57 pm

It appears that REI has finally sold out of their discontinued SubKilo; it was no longer listed on REI Outlet last time I looked. I bought one of the last women's SubKilos in stock for my granddaughter the last time it was on sale ($139 for the long sounds about what I paid). She will not receive it until she has had no accidents at night for a year, so it may sit in my closet for a while. It's a good bag, but not in the class of the WM Ultralight. It definitely has less loft so is probably nearer a 25-30* F bag.