"Handy Hundred" Cord

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Thomas M

"Handy Hundred" Cord

Post by Thomas M » August 9th, 2008, 8:38 am

Just a tip on some good cord. It's called "Handy Hundred" and is a 2 millimeter, nylon(I guess) which is rated at a minimum of 100 pounds. It only costs $1.97 for 100 feet and can be purchased at Andy and Bax. It's a decent and cheap substitute for the more expensive and stronger "Spectra" types and is lighter and cheaper than the 500 pound parachute cord. It makes good all around camp cordage. I use it for extra tent tie-downs. Since rated at 100 pounds it would make good food hanging cord too. Andy and Bax just(August 6, 2008) got a new shipment in. It comes in a few "earthy" colors.

Thomas M

zombie

Re: "Handy Hundred" Cord

Post by zombie » August 9th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Thanks very much for the tip! I'm gonna go grab some for hanging food. Glad you mentioned THAT too...jogged my brain that I need something like this!

-aaron

Thomas M

Re: "Handy Hundred" Cord

Post by Thomas M » August 16th, 2008, 10:17 pm

Yes , I'm considering using the Handy Hundred for food hanging too. My only concern is that since it is so narrow in cross-section (2mm) that it may not easily slip when hauling a food load up to, say, a branch. I think that I'm going to use a caribiner as a pulley, pull that and the food hanging cord up to the high point and then pull the food up using the "biner" as the loaded surface. There should be little friction betwen the cord and the biner. We'll see.