Hiking the Trails of the Gifford Pinchot - A cool book!

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
sarbar

Hiking the Trails of the Gifford Pinchot - A cool book!

Post by sarbar » July 18th, 2008, 1:16 pm

This winter I came across 'Hiking the Trails of the Gifford Pinchot' by Kent Meyer, ISBN13: 9780977072101 at Powell's Books while we were down in Portland. I picked up a copy - which was signed by Kent as well.

I got home and researched him up. This book was a work of love by the author and self published. I have a lot of respect for people who write about what they love - it isn't easy especially with an ultra niche like what he has written. I talked to Kent via email after getting his book - he is a great guy.

If you hike on the Wa side this is a great book to pick up. http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780977072101-0 Good authors should be recognized and not forgotten! And how often do you get had drawn maps these days?
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Gear & Beyond.....Outdoor Food Simplified: http://www.trailcooking.com/

Jane

Re: Hiking the Trails of the Gifford Pinchot - A cool book!

Post by Jane » July 19th, 2008, 4:24 pm

sarbar wrote:
I got home and researched him up. This book was a work of love by the author and self published. I have a lot of respect for people who write about what they love - it isn't easy especially with an ultra niche like what he has written. I talked to Kent via email after getting his book - he is a great guy.

Good authors should be recognized and not forgotten! And how often do you get had drawn maps these days?
I agree Sarbar! I've been lucky and have had the opportunity to meet and hike with Kent a few times over the years, he is so very nice and unassuming - considering his wealth of knowledge of the Gifford Pinchot. If anyone would like to meet and hike with him, he's leading a short and easy-level hike Saturday July 26th:

www.mazamas.org - 503-227-2345 - HK A2 Jul 26 (Sat) Big Huckleberry Via PCT. Kent Meyer. This is the shortest and easiest route to the top of Big Huckleberry. This is not as spectacular as the Grassy Knoll trail, but still interesting. 8 est. miles 1400 ft. Dr. 140, depart from Gateway 8 a.m.

and Aug. 30th:

HK A2 Aug 30 (Sat) Observation Peak (W). Kent Meyer. We will hike this shortest route to this old lookout site. A 360 degree view awaits us. 5.6 miles 1400 ft. Dr. 140, TH Pass, depart Gateway 8 a.m.

OneSpeed

Re: Hiking the Trails of the Gifford Pinchot - A cool book!

Post by OneSpeed » July 21st, 2008, 9:52 am

I agree on Kent and his book -- both wonderful. You can get a signed copy at the Mazamas office, 527 SE 43rd, at Stark.