GPS recomendations

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
RobFromRedland

Re: GPS recomendations

Post by RobFromRedland » August 2nd, 2008, 9:12 am

retired jerry wrote: That looks interesting.

$20 is cheaper than the $100 you pay for Mapsource

I think you could get the higher resolution 24K USGS topo maps rather than the 100K you get with Mapsource.

Their website said they have bitmapped maps rather than the vector maps of Mapsource. So the MOAGU maps take more memory so you can only store a few USGS quads, but that should be plenty for any trip you take. But with vector maps you can store maybe 100 quads which is enough for all the areas I would normally go to so I don't have to download the map for each trip.

Also, the bitmap map takes longer to display. The website said it would keep up with walking or even bicycling, but not if you were driving. The display time might be annoying long.

They say they have a free evaluation.

It would be interesting to get anyone's first-hand experience.
Well, I had some trouble with it, mostly due to the limitation of the demo (it only shows a small "tile"). But working with the author, I got it to work, and it does indeed display 24k maps on my garmin 60csx. They do draw slowly, and I haven't tested them hiking yet, but I think I may invest the $20. Once I understood more how it worked, it is a very straightforward process. The app pretty much walks you through it.

Rob
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson