Can I hire a GPS rescue beacon?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
BenO_Tas

Can I hire a GPS rescue beacon?

Post by BenO_Tas » May 22nd, 2023, 10:50 pm

Hi everyone,
My apologies if this has been asked before…
Can I hire a rescue beacon in Portland?
In Australia, I can hire a rescue beacon from Parks & Wildlife or from some of the gear shops in my town.
Is this a thing in the US?
Many thanks!
Ben

leiavoia

Re: Can I hire a GPS rescue beacon?

Post by leiavoia » May 24th, 2023, 4:06 pm

You can rent gear from REI and maybe Cabelas.

Gear available varies by location.

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » May 24th, 2023, 7:32 pm

leiavoia wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 4:06 pm
You can rent gear from REI and maybe Cabelas.

Gear available varies by location.
Thank you.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 25th, 2023, 12:04 pm

Your question makes me want to ask for some clarification (assuming you do check back again).

In the US a "rescue beacon" can designate a device carried by mountaineers that helps rescuers find them if they are buried by an avalanche. It sends a strong signal but only a short distance. The possessor turns it on when they are on the mountain and leaves it on until they come down again. These are called Avalanche Rescue Beacons and are easily rentable.

Another type of rescue beacon, the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) is only activated by its user during a life-threatening emergency. When activated it sends a distress signal and its GPS coordinates to a satellite and these are relayed to NOAA a central government authority. It must be registered to a single owner whose contact information is tagged to that particular PLB's ID#. The PLB system isn't designed for the device to be rented by a random series of people and I have not heard of places where they can be rented. However, you can purchase one and register it with your contact info. It should work anywhere in the world until the battery fades out, and the batteries last a long time.

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » May 26th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Aimless wrote:
May 25th, 2023, 12:04 pm
Your question makes me want to ask for some clarification (assuming you do check back again).
Hi Aimless,
Yes, it’s a PLB I am seeking to rent.

Where I live in Tasmania, Australia, I can rent one from the Parks & Wildlife Service, State Government Office, or from one of the outdoor gear shops in town at about $AUD40/week. In the past I’ve also borrowed a friend’s PLB and made a temporary registration with the Australian Marine Safety Authority who are responsible for coordinating responses to all PLB devices in land or sea in Australia.

So, I am hoping to find out whether I can hire a PLB in the US for my planned hikes in Oregon and Washington.
Thanks for the opportunity to clarify!
Ben

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 27th, 2023, 5:38 am

I don't know where to rent a PLB

Another option is a Garmin Inreach satellite communicator. There's an emergency button like a PLB, and also you can send texts, either to the emergency response people, or friends/family you just want to communicate with.

I don't know where to rent that either. $300 to $450 to buy it, plus $12 per month. I see another model, Garmin Inreach messenger that's cheaper, and another manufacturer Zoleo that's even cheaper.

Maybe REI rents something.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » May 28th, 2023, 5:37 pm

A quick internet search for PLB rentals in the USA only turned up web-based rentals where you enter your personal contact data online, provide a credit card to be charged, the dates you will be on your trip and an address to ship the PLB to. When you are done you ship the PLB back. The REI link that showed up only spoke in terms of purchase, not rental. However, you can try calling various local REI stores directly and make inquiries about their availability as a rental. This would provide you with location-specific info. Good luck.

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » May 29th, 2023, 8:39 pm

Hi Jerry,
retired jerry wrote:
May 27th, 2023, 5:38 am
I don't know where to rent a PLB

Another option is a Garmin Inreach satellite communicator. There's an emergency button like a PLB, and also you can send texts, either to the emergency response people, or friends/family you just want to communicate with.

I don't know where to rent that either. $300 to $450 to buy it, plus $12 per month. I see another model, Garmin Inreach messenger that's cheaper, and another manufacturer Zoleo that's even cheaper.

Maybe REI rents something.
Yes, I’ve been looking at the Garmin InReach mini and they look fantastic. Worse case is I’ll have to purchase one in the US and after my 1 month adventure - ship it home via fed-ex.
Yes, I am hoping REI or another gear shop in around Portland or NW hires out PLBs!
Thank you!
Ben.
Last edited by BenO_Tas on May 29th, 2023, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » May 29th, 2023, 8:41 pm

Thanks Aimless,
Aimless wrote:
May 28th, 2023, 5:37 pm
A quick internet search for PLB rentals in the USA only turned up web-based rentals where you enter your personal contact data online, provide a credit card to be charged, the dates you will be on your trip and an address to ship the PLB to. When you are done you ship the PLB back. The REI link that showed up only spoke in terms of purchase, not rental. However, you can try calling various local REI stores directly and make inquiries about their availability as a rental. This would provide you with location-specific info. Good luck.
One of my hiking buddies I’ll be walking with lives in Spokane WA and is also familiar with the various gear shops in Portland so I’ll give him the task of making those calls and finding out before I arrive. Thanks so much for your help!
Ben

BenO_Tas

Post by BenO_Tas » June 2nd, 2023, 7:16 pm

A big “thank you!” to everyone who contributed to this thread. My hiking buddy from Spokane has located a PLB to rent. I imagine it’s somewhere in Portland as that’s where we’re meeting up and using as a base. He didn’t tell me from exactly where but when he does I’ll be happy to post the details here if anyone is interested.
Kind regards,
Ben