Garmin removed Preset Message feature from InReach

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
justpeachy

Garmin removed Preset Message feature from InReach

Post by justpeachy » May 8th, 2023, 5:39 am

I learned that Garmin has removed a feature from their InReach devices. (Without lowering their prices, of course.) You used to be able to log into your Garmin account in your browser and set up three custom messages along with the recipients of those messages. These were called Preset Messages and did not count against your monthly text message allotment.

Garmin has done away with those. Now you get "Check-in Messages", the content of which is determined by Garmin and which you are not allowed to edit. If you set up an account before September 27, 2022 you're grandfathered in and you still have the old Preset Messages feature. (At least for now, anyway.) But any accounts set up after that date only get the new Check-in Messages. I don't remember getting a notification about this last year, but maybe it was one of those drab "we've updated our terms of service" emails that no one ever reads.

So just a heads-up for you Garmin InReach users. More info below.

Differences Between Preset, Check-in, and Quick Text Messages

Frequently Asked Questions About inReach Check-In Messages

RobFromRedland

Re: Garmin removed Preset Message feature from InReach

Post by RobFromRedland » May 8th, 2023, 5:52 am

justpeachy wrote:
May 8th, 2023, 5:39 am
I learned that Garmin has removed a feature from their InReach devices. (Without lowering their prices, of course.) You used to be able to log into your Garmin account in your browser and set up three custom messages along with the recipients of those messages. These were called Preset Messages and did not count against your monthly text message allotment.

Garmin has done away with those. Now you get "Check-in Messages", the content of which is determined by Garmin and which you are not allowed to edit. If you set up an account before September 27, 2022 you're grandfathered in and you still have the old Preset Messages feature. (At least for now, anyway.) But any accounts set up after that date only get the new Check-in Messages. I don't remember getting a notification about this last year, but maybe it was one of those drab "we've updated our terms of service" emails that no one ever reads.

So just a heads-up for you Garmin InReach users. More info below.

Differences Between Preset, Check-in, and Quick Text Messages

Frequently Asked Questions About inReach Check-In Messages
Thanks for the heads up. I rarely use a "regular" message, almost always using one of the preset messages. This is kind of a crappy change honestly. My guess is they think they weren't getting enough revenue from regular messages. My account gets 10 free messages per month with additional ones at .50 each. I can't remember the last time I actually used one of those.

With some of the satellite options coming to cell phones, I'm hoping in the next 5 years or so maybe there will be better/cheaper options for this kind of stuff.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 8th, 2023, 6:00 am

same here - I use mostly the free preset messages. It's just easier even if it costs. My wife's reply is not preset so that has always cost. I never use all of my free 10 per month. Even if I had to pay for mine I wouldn't usually use up my 10.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the phone having the capability to communicate by satellite. Since one iphone model has this capability I bet it will be sooner than 5 years, maybe 1 year.

My wife got a S23 - amazing camera. I can see details about the same as my binoculars.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 8th, 2023, 6:15 am

one of the check-in messages is "I'm checking in, everything is okay." which is the one I would almost always use anyway.

the other check-in messages are "I'm starting my trip." and "I'm ending my trip.". Those might be as good as any other message I customize myself.

Currently, I use three messages - "wxnow" sent to [email protected] will reply to me a weather report for my location. That one might cost me as extra message. And to my wife "I'm okay", and "got your reply, I'm still okay" just to let her know that I got her reply.

I could just use the "I'm starting my trip" for my first message, then "I'm checking in" after I get a reply to let her know I'm receiving her messages.

I'm grandfathered in but if I wasn't it wouldn't matter that much

drm

Post by drm » May 9th, 2023, 5:40 pm

As long as they keep having the free basic weather update. I use that all the time. It is particularly useful on longer trips when the last forecast before you left is dated. I use the preset messages occasionally.

idoru

Post by idoru » May 10th, 2023, 1:16 pm

drm wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 5:40 pm
As long as they keep having the free basic weather update. I use that all the time.
It's "free" if you don't go beyond your allotted free monthly texts. I just picked up an InReach Mini 2 last month, and I'm on their Safety plan (plan comparison here), where "Basic Weather" is "1 text message each", and "Premium Weather" is $1 each. Looks like each basic request uses up 1 text message.