What gear do you keep in your car when overlanding?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
doubleawilly

What gear do you keep in your car when overlanding?

Post by doubleawilly » July 4th, 2022, 12:10 pm

I'm trying to hone in on a system that keeps my car equipped for the majority of potential emergencies. Lots of fun trails in this state exist on old abandoned logging roads, which I love exploring. Whether simply overlanding through the wilderness or attempting to access points of interest through said wilderness, what do you keep in your vehicles to stay prepared for the unexpected? I have a '20 Subaru Crosstrek and here's what I've started building up:

- Portable traction tire mats
- Snow brush
- Noco jump starter box
- Kolo roadside emergency kit

I invested in som off-road tires/wheels (Falken Wildpeak AT3W + Method wheels) but I'm lacking anything that could help fix punctures. Perhaps a portable air compressor?

For those that adventure in their vehicles, what do you equip yourself with? I'm very curious!

Webfoot

Re: What gear do you keep in your car when overlanding?

Post by Webfoot » July 4th, 2022, 12:42 pm

An air compressor is a necessity. Unless you have low profile tires you will want to air down on rough roads for comfort, control, and traction. I like the Viair 88P. Get a good tire plug kit.

I recommend a dynamic snatch strap or recovery rope. I've used mine to pull out other people several times, and last year I had to have someone pull me out with it after getting stuck on a stump hidden under snow. Learn your recovery points, and if you don't have any that are sturdy enough for a dynamic recovery have some added or reinforced. If you go where you don't expect anyone to be by get a "come-along" or even an electric winch.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 5th, 2022, 8:50 pm

doubleawilly wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 12:10 pm
Perhaps a portable air compressor?
I'm shamefully underequipped, but even I carry a compressor.
The cheap ones are garbage. They'll do in a pinch, but watch for overheating (run one minute, then let it cool down). Try to fill a big tire with a $20 Harbor Freight compressor in one fell swoop, and you'll just burn it up.

I've also taken to carrying a backup battery (jump starter), bigger than what I would really anticipate needing. I cringe thinking of what I would have done if my car had failed to start on one of my hikes where I finished up in brutal weather (the kind where walking out would be terrible).

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 6th, 2022, 5:51 am

First aid kid, folding saw, water filter (in case I'm stranded with low/no water in vehicle), flashlight or headlamp.

I also carry a Garmin InReach, which uses satellites to let you communicate with the outside world via texting when there is no cell signal. Yes, it requires a monthly subscription fee but it's worth it for peace of mind.

Charley

Post by Charley » July 6th, 2022, 12:25 pm

In eastern Oregon, where the drives are longer and rougher, I usually have a mountain bike in the back of my truck. Rather than exploring a particularly bad road to get to a trailhead, I just ride my bike over.

But probably a folding saw, compressor, and battery charger would be good enough.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » July 9th, 2022, 4:18 pm

I have a newer hatchback (GTI) but I have a bad habit of taking it on roads it wasn’t meant for.

I have a basic recovery kit including a few boards (traction/under-jack), a collapsible shovel, a tow strap, a portable jumper, a small air compressor, a flat repair kit, a quart of oil, a gallon of coolant, duct tape, clear tape (headlights), a rock chip repair kit (fix it early), and a full size spare in addition to the donut.

I have an off-highway set of tires (essentially winters on smaller rims for more sidewall), they are like the car’s ‘hiking boots’ that only get put on for adventures and then the low profiles go back on afterwards.

Then I have all of the backpacking/camping stuff, as well (food, water filter, first aid, solar charger, etc.)

Leaving next month to go up the Dempster Highway to the Arctic Ocean… 1100 miles of gravel roads total.
instagram: @remyodyssey