Sleeping bag for the Wallowa's beginning september

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Mathias310791

Sleeping bag for the Wallowa's beginning september

Post by Mathias310791 » April 1st, 2022, 6:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Hope you're fine.

I am planning a trip of several days in the wallowa's at beginning september and I was wondering if it's better to take a sleeping bag for 15 F or 0 F (temp limit)?

My plan is to trail Wallowa river loop trail and climb matterhorn and sacajawea summits.

I've been looking for information about the temperatures and the weather at beginning september, but didn't find them.

If you have the right answer, i would appreciate that.

Sorry for my poor english, i am not native americain.

Thanks !

Mathias

Aimless

Re: Sleeping bag for the Wallowa's beginning september

Post by Aimless » April 1st, 2022, 6:31 pm

A 15 degree (Fahrenheit) sleeping bag should be adequate for early September when camped above 8000 ft in the Wallowas. A zero degree bag would be more than you need unless you are an unusually cold sleeper. Do remember that your insulation underneath the bag will be an important part of the equation. Have fun! It is a lovely area to hike in.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » April 1st, 2022, 6:44 pm

I agree with @Aimless. Do keep an eye on the point forecast, though, as the date approaches. That link is for a spot near Mirror Lake, about 7800 ft.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 1st, 2022, 6:49 pm

You'll be fine with a 30° bag in September at Ice Lake. No reason to carry a warmer bag, just make sure your pad is decent.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 1st, 2022, 7:47 pm

Mathias specified 15 degrees as the "limit", which I took as the lowest limit, not the 'comfort' rating. A bag with an ISO lower limit of about 15 would have a comfort rating around 30.

Mathias310791

Post by Mathias310791 » April 1st, 2022, 8:10 pm

Aimless wrote:
April 1st, 2022, 7:47 pm
Mathias specified 15 degrees as the "limit", which I took as the lowest limit, not the 'comfort' rating. A bag with an ISO lower limit of about 15 would have a comfort rating around 30.
Hello !

Thanks you all for your answers. As you said i was speaking about temperature limit.

It would be an sleeping bag of 25 F comfort. Should it be okay for begining september ? I am not a cold sleeper, but i don't want to be freezing at night :(

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » April 2nd, 2022, 7:47 am

I did this hike in 2019 in late September. Trip report with weather info here:
viewtopic.php?t=28562

I was fine in regular 3-season gear. I used a 20F quilt and hammock. This is fine all around the area. Early September will likely still have some of that warm summertime feel.

The peak of Eagle Cap at 5am was 28F and very windy. I needed all my extra layers, gloves, and wind shell up there.

I also went to the Lakes Basin area last year in mid/late August, but that was during one of 2021's freak heat waves, so i wouldnt consider that a typical weather pattern to judge future trips from.

I suggest you take your lighter gear assuming its good quality and you've tested it before and that you wont be sleeping literally on the peaks.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » April 2nd, 2022, 11:16 am

I would separate sleeping bag ratings from actual experience with the bag at a given temperature. Better to ask what the expected lowest temperature will be and evaluate the bags yourself in that climate.

I have a very warm ground pad and I have been cold at around 30°F in a North Face Dolomite 20 wearing thick thermal underwear, two pairs of stocks, and a beanie. All with a tent that remained above freezing inside. The bag is not EN rated so I don't know what the 20 degree rating was supposed to mean but comfort it is not.

Charley

Post by Charley » April 2nd, 2022, 12:31 pm

That's a great question, and I think the previous answers are very helpful. On the other hand, there are so many variables to the question of overnight comfort/safety that a simple answer might be good advice, but your actual experience could end up being easier or harder.
  • Weather conditions (the average is useful for advance planning, but in September, it could be HOT or COLD up there, though cool nights, if not cold, are probably almost certain).
  • Rain/snow/humidity will compromise the insulating value of sleeping gear and clothing.
  • Are you a warm or cool sleeper?
  • Are you sleeping out in the open, under a tarp, in a tent?
  • What kind of sleeping pad(s) are you using?
  • Are you planning on spending a lot of time in camp? (If you're hiking and then dropping into bed to cook and go to sleep, then getting up before the sun, you'll have less time to "enjoy" a cold sleeping experience).
  • How many nights out? I'd splurge for a bigger bag the longer I'm out, because that increases my margin of comfort/safety.
  • Will you be eating a big meal, with good fat and protein, right before going to bed?
If you don't want to overthink it, just listen to the other comments. You'll be fine. :)

If you want more details, take a look at this book. It's kinda old, so some of the product recommendations are going to be wildly out of date. But the principals are solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Back ... 974818828
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.