Snowshoe recommendations

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Limey

Re: Snowshoe recommendations

Post by Limey » October 22nd, 2021, 7:54 pm

I also use MSRs. 99% of my trips are off trail and I find them able to handle any type of terrain that I encounter. A big #1 for the televator, comes in real handy.

snow_sketches

Post by snow_sketches » October 22nd, 2021, 9:38 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 5:22 pm
Also, my preferred snowshoe model makes a great beer platform:
Ha! I've admired your trail beer photos in the trip reports, so this is a persuasive point :)

Limey and Bosterson, thanks for the tip on that Televator feature! Versatility and suitability for steep terrain are both priorities, so given all of these suggestions, I'll probably try out something like MSR's Revo Ascent first. Again, thanks, everyone, for your detailed feedback!

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 23rd, 2021, 2:34 pm

What kind of boots or shoes do you all wear inside snowshoes?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 24th, 2021, 5:10 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 2:34 pm
Doesn't matter, all boots suck. :lol:

[A bit of an inside joke, but also sadly true.]

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 24th, 2021, 5:44 pm

snow_sketches wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 9:38 pm
Chip Down wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 5:22 pm
Also, my preferred snowshoe model makes a great beer platform:
Ha! I've admired your trail beer photos in the trip reports, so this is a persuasive point :)
Trail? TRAIL?!
How dare you besmirch my reputation. ;)

Charley

Post by Charley » October 27th, 2021, 8:25 am

Webfoot wrote:
October 23rd, 2021, 2:34 pm
I have MSR snowshoes.

With those snowshoes, I've worn trail runners (cold, wet, light) and mountaineering boots (warmer, drier, heavier). If I were you, I'd use the warmest, most waterproof/breathable boot I have.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Charley

Post by Charley » October 27th, 2021, 8:45 am

johnspeth wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 4:52 am
When I go out I often see snowshoed folks sticking to trails in conditions that good rugged deep soled boots will work just fine. I rarely see tracks "off trail" where a snowshoe is absolutely needed.
So true!

I rarely snowshoe any more, because I have backcountry Nordic skis that I use regularly. Skis have greater flotation, as well as the glide (wheeee!), so they're really fast fun in most conditions! But they do require more skill to use, and I can guarantee you'll fall and crash while learning; if you're like me, I can guarantee you'll continue to fall and crash even after skiing for over a decade.

But much of the same conditions prevail, and here are some thoughts.

When you think about the kinds of places we drive and hike in the snow-free seasons, and then transpose that into the snow seasons, you'll end up with places that are on a spectrum from tracked-out to not-tracked-out (depending on the day of the week, as well as timing, and depth of most recent snowfall).

If it's tracked out, it can be as simple as walking with some kind of traction device (if icy) or just a warm, lugged boot (if fresh and powdery).

If it's not tracked out, and you're breaking trail, you have challenges both in terms of flotation and navigation (I can personally attest to the difficulty of forest navigation in the snow!).

So, lots of local snowshoers seem to stay on...

1. Trails that are so popular that they are usually tracked to some degree, and thus easy to follow (like Mirror Lake, Twin Lakes, Crosstown Trail system, White River, Tamanawas Falls)
2. Roads that access popular destinations and are usually tracked to some degree (Trillium Lake road system, Pocket Creek road system, Bennett Pass Road)
3. Some also take advantage of popular snowmobiling areas (the Marblemount Sno-Park at Mt St Helens has prime examples), because, while they're typically not as quiet or as immediately scenically gratifying, they are easy to follow!

But...
4. A small number of snowshoers and skiers seek out less-traveled destinations (trails such as Burnt Lake, Mineral Jane, Yellowjacket, and roads such as Abbott Road, Gunsight Ridge road, etc). For less popular destinations, more flotation might speed your travel up!

Those MSR lightnings are basiacally perfect, because if I recall correctly, you can buy them, and then purchase the increased flotation tail later, should you decide it is necessary.

Charley

Post by Charley » October 27th, 2021, 8:52 am

snow_sketches wrote:
October 20th, 2021, 9:01 pm
A quick followup question: I don't yet have a really good read on the various hazards associated with traveling on snow, especially off-trail (I searched the forum for snowshoe threads before posting, and happened upon the "snow bridge collapse" post—yikes!) Can anyone recommend some good resources on learning winter terrain? I believe I recall REI having a class; has anyone taken this, and if so, was it pretty worthwhile?
A class at REI would probably be a great idea!

A quick list of winter snow travel hazards:

1. Navigation (SO much harder when there's 2' of fresh snow everywhere)
2. Hypothermia (now is a good time to refresh on the 10 essentials and make an accidental-overnight plan)
2. Tree wells
IMG_1158.jpg
4. Avalanches (huge topic here; probably the best advice is to check out the avy forecast at https://nwac.us/, and generally stay out of avalanche terrain)
5. I've crossed snowbridges on my skis many dozens of times without issue, but snowshoes sink deeper and may cause the snowbridge to collapse, so thanks for pointing that out!
6. Weight gain due to stopping at Mt Hood Brewing on the way home. Seriously, this one is the silent killer.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 27th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Charley wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 8:52 am
Weight gain due to stopping at Mt Hood Brewing on the way home.
Charley wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 8:45 am
Those MSR lightnings are basically perfect, because if I recall correctly, you can buy them, and then purchase the increased flotation tail later, should you decide [when you realize] it is necessary.
Fixed that for you.

Charley

Post by Charley » October 28th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 4:46 pm
Charley wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 8:45 am
Those MSR lightnings are basically perfect, because if I recall correctly, you can buy them, and then purchase the increased flotation tail later, should you decide [when you realize] it is necessary.
Fixed that for you.
Your mileage may vary! I've never "needed" the flotation tails, personally.