Water hiking shoes that don't let sand and pebbles in?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Spoonie_B

Water hiking shoes that don't let sand and pebbles in?

Post by Spoonie_B » August 17th, 2021, 10:50 am

Hey folks,

It's been a loooooong time since I've been in the forums here. Hope you're all doing well and racking up the miles!

I'm living in Puerto Vallarta now, and a lot of the local hikes are to waterfalls through the jungle, weaving in and out of riverbeds and crossing rivers. My Chacos and then Keens Newport H2Os have both proven to be awful for this hiking - the coarse river sand and tiny pebbles make their way in, get lodged between the fabric and my foot, and require constant taking off, cleaning out, and putting back on, or else an abraded foot.

So, I'm looking for the perfect river shoe. What do you use? Any suggestions? Thanks y'all.

-Spoonie

Webfoot

Re: Water hiking shoes that don't let sand and pebbles in?

Post by Webfoot » August 20th, 2021, 12:54 pm

Sounds like fun. :) Have you tried neoprene booties?

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » August 20th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Considered and rejected, unless I can find something with a better sole than usual. I'm not trying to stay dry... No need in the heat here. Just don't want to constantly abrade my foot, while also not having to slosh around in wet socks. Maybe if I can find a really quick-drying synthetic sock paired with trail runners that are mesh enough to expel water fairly quickly while hiking without having big openings for sand and pebbles to pour in...

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » August 20th, 2021, 9:25 pm

How about just going all-in with something like a Luna sandle?

Spoonie_B

Post by Spoonie_B » August 21st, 2021, 9:50 am

I'd never heard of these before. This might be the best bet. Thanks! Still interested in other ideas too.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 21st, 2021, 10:26 am

The first thing that comes to mind are tabis ("reef walkers"), which are used by shore fishermen in Hawaii. The only problem is that they usually have felt soles. Maybe if you could find some rubber-soled tabis...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 21st, 2021, 7:47 pm

Spoonie_B wrote:
August 20th, 2021, 1:52 pm
Considered and rejected, unless I can find something with a better sole than usual. I'm not trying to stay dry... No need in the heat here.
I wear neoprene socks/booties inside Terrex shoes with Stealth rubber for my river hikes. The tops have an elastic band that keeps sand and gravel out. I am not an experienced river hiker but it works for me.