DEET Disaster Cleanup?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
smithsummit

DEET Disaster Cleanup?

Post by smithsummit » July 25th, 2021, 1:39 pm

HI Folks,

Anticipating a healthy mosquito population in the Goat Rocks this weekend... I stopped at my favorite outdoor store on Friday to purchase mosquito repellent; which I had not done in many years. After chatting with the clerk I bought a bottle of 100% DEET. Yes, the cell phone should have left my pocket for a pre-purchase Google search.

I applied DEET at the trailhead and headed out. Several hours later I opened my top pocket to pull out sunscreen for a refresh and discovered that:

I failed to properly secure the bug juice lid
Over half the bottle leaked
Plastic bags are candy for DEET consumption

So... the inside of my top pocket has a nice coating of the stuff; which soaked through to the underside pocket and stained the mesh. On the bright side, I'd stuffed my sunglasses into a pair of thick wool gloves for scratch protection and my GPS had been hanging from my shoulder strap.

I'm at a loss for a way to clean up this disaster. A rag soaked with alcohol helped, but there's definitely still oily residue (and probably some melted coating). Any ideas? Unfortunately... it seems like the pack may be toast.

The hike (Goat Lake loop + Old Snowy) was at least awesome. I'll put Goat Rocks up against any scenery in the northwest.

Cheers,

Rob

adamschneider

Re: DEET Disaster Cleanup?

Post by adamschneider » July 25th, 2021, 1:44 pm

I don't know how to clean up the stuff that the DEET melted, but I will say that this sort of potential calamity is why I use Picaridin-based bug spray! It seems to work just as well, and it doesn't eat gear.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 25th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Try washing the pack in a washing machine a couple times on large load cycle, maybe a few times. If you were going to throw it out anyway, it wouldn't hurt.

Also +1 on the Picaridin. Tests show it's the only thing as effective as DEET. It' not as oily, doesn't smell nearly as bad, and doesn't dissolve plastics. And of course, Permethrin for clothing.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

smithsummit

Post by smithsummit » July 25th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the responses. The alcohol soaked rag helped quite a bit. Think I'll try a trough with water and sudsy Dawn Ultra next and then try Born2BBrad's washing machine suggestion. My washer is not wonderful so I need to help it as much as I can.

Definitely trying picaridin next time. DEET is nasty stuff.

Cheers,

Rob

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2021, 5:56 am

I've had DEET leak and destroy stuff before

Now, I have the "muscle memory" to remember to close it. Also, I put it in a ziploc bag for added safety.

I use 30% DEET. maybe that works about as good and doesn't melt things as bad?

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » July 26th, 2021, 7:38 am

+2 on Picaridin.
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 26th, 2021, 8:24 am

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

smithsummit wrote:
July 25th, 2021, 1:39 pm
I stopped at my favorite outdoor store on Friday to purchase mosquito repellent; which I had not done in many years. After chatting with the clerk I bought a bottle of 100% DEET.
Hey Rob, sorry about your mess. I don't have any tips, but wanted to observe your favorite outdoor store let you down. 100% DEET has such a limited range of sensible applications, I can't imagine anybody recommending it to a customer who wants a general-purpose mosquito repellent. I guess you know that now. Have you started compiling a list of possible revenge tactics?

squidvicious

Post by squidvicious » July 27th, 2021, 9:16 am

sparklehorse wrote:
July 26th, 2021, 7:38 am
+2 on Picaridin.
I find picaridin even more effective than DEET on the big biting flies, but check that it's 20%. There's one you commonly find in grocery store aisles--I think it's one of the OFF formulations--that's only 5% picaridin. Natrapel is a readily-available (Fred Meyer, Target) option.

smithsummit

Post by smithsummit » July 31st, 2021, 3:52 pm

Hey Chip,

Yeah the clerk did let me down, but I have been at this for a while and should have fact checked using my phone. I did follow up with the store's management and suggest they review bug juice choices with their staff.

--Rob