Water filtration suggestions

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
lordgares

Water filtration suggestions

Post by lordgares » June 22nd, 2021, 8:25 am

I am curious what everyone recommends for a lightweight water filtration system for hiking. I have a lifestraw and it works but it isn't exactly practical for constant use. Thanks!
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

teachpdx

Re: Water filtration suggestions

Post by teachpdx » June 22nd, 2021, 9:15 am

For overnight trips, my partner and I carry two Sawyer Minis attached to two non-Sawyer dirty bags (because the bags included with the Sawyer are a pain to fill, and they break).

These are the dirty bags we use: https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections/hy ... 0054314073

Super easy to fill the bags with the fully opening top, the only drawback is the time it takes gravity to do the work or the amount of squeezing that needs to be done to overcome impatience.

It's also great for a full day of hiking... fill up the dirty bag wherever you can find water, then hang it and let gravity do its thing while you take a lunch break or something.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 22nd, 2021, 10:15 am

The Lifestraw is no doubt quick and easy for day hiking, although I often hike trails with little or no water source, so I generally just pack city water with me.

For backpacking I want something reliable and durable so my go-to water filter system combines an Evernew 1 qt bag for dirty water connected to a Sawyer mini, outflowing through the Platypus drinking tube (with bite valve temporarily removed) and using a Platypus bag for the clean water receptacle. Rather than wait for gravity, I usually squeeze the dirty water bag to force the water through the filter. The Evernew threads fit the Sawyer Mini snugly and the bag is sturdier than the Sawyer-provided bags, so it stands up to the abuse better. To fill the dirty water bag, I have a plastic cottage cheese tub I can dip into the water source.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am

I stopped bothering with a filter a few years ago and now just take a USB rechargeable Steripen. It's good for around 20L on a charge, which is enough for drinking water for 2 people for a couple of days, or for 1 person for longer (I've done 5 days solo with it; I also don't bother purifying water I'm going to boil for cooking). If you take a charging pack, you could make it go longer. You need to be able to fill a water bottle from your water source, and the water ideally should be pretty clear (so no super shallow mud streams). The Steripen takes around 90 seconds to purify a liter, and is small enough that it's convenient to bring on dayhikes just in case. I don't see a reason to ever go back to a filter except for really long trips or big groups that need lots of water or something.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » June 22nd, 2021, 1:10 pm

I switched to the Katadyn BeFree this year and really like it. Before that i had Platypus 4L gravity setup. Before that i had MSR SweetWater pump.

For one or two hikers, the BeFree is awesome. Simple to deploy and use, good results, easy to use, packs very small, only a coupla ounces.

The Platypus gravity setup really shines in a group or basecamp setting. Then you can have up to 8 liters on tap. You fill up water once when you get into camp and then you have water for anything and everything.

My biggest gripe about gravity setups is that it takes so much time to get it all out and set up. On a long backpacking trip this eats up a lot of time when i'm already dog tired. For that, i want the BeFree.

Pump-style filters are an outdated tech and i hope to never go back.

dirtman

Post by dirtman » June 25th, 2021, 12:27 pm

I've not had any problems with the MSR TrailShot.

walrus

Post by walrus » June 27th, 2021, 7:01 pm

I second the endorsement for the Katadyn BeFree. It is light, fast and easy to use and clean. The one downside is that it fits an odd size of soft bottles and, like the Sawyer, bottle it comes with can be flimsy. Add the cost of a backup bottle to your calculations. Before the BeFree, I used a Sawyer Squeeze and it was OK - faster than a MSR TrailShot, but not by much. Sawyer products fit on any standard bottle, but they're slower, get clogged faster, and fussier to clean.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 28th, 2021, 5:21 am

I've used Sawyer Squeeze for years. Never a problem.

I've read a lot of reports about clogging.

I try to use pretty clean water.

Don't disinfect with bleach water. Especially if you have hard water. Deposits will form that clog it.

If clogged, use vinegar to clear it. Squeeze a little through the filter, then let it sit. Or CLR is better.

I've read Sawyer Mini clogs more. It has smaller surface area.

I've used Steripen but the batteries kept dying. I think if you always have another set of new, brand name, non rechargeable batteries it would work though. Or, they have a model now with built in lithium battery USB rechargeable. I'd get that one.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » June 28th, 2021, 10:48 am

I third the BeFree recommendation. It works great for day hikes and for backpacking. I've been using this filter for five years now (not the same one, I'm on my second filter now I think, but they're fairly cheap). For overnights I also take a 3 liter HydraPak Seeker water container bag. It's lightweight & compact and serves well for hauling plenty of water back to camp from a lake or stream. It has the same threads as the BeFree so you can attach the BeFree to it and then roll the bag to filter water into another container such as a SmartWater bottle. It also serves as a backup in case the BeFree bottle develops a leak. Over the years I've tried virtually every filter system from pump types, to the UV Streripen, to the Aquamira Frontier Pro, to Klearwater chlorine drops, to the Sawyer Mini Squeeze. The BeFree is my favorite by a pretty wide margin.
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 18th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Tablets like Katadyn Micropur MP1 do the trick for me. Lighter and smaller than any filter. No pumping or squeezing. Same chemical as in municipal water supply. Kills Giardia and Cryptosporidium.

Don't use iodine pills or household bleach. Blech!
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports