Sat Messenger rescue services

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Crusak

Re: Sat Messenger rescue services

Post by Crusak » April 2nd, 2021, 1:14 pm

Koda wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 8:54 pm
Crusak wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm

Welcome to the club! Its use is the same or similar as my DeLorme inReachSE device, so if you have any questions about it just let me know. ;) You'll have to add me to your list of emergency contacts - I think I have you on my list.

I give my family the password protected link to track me when I'm out and have the tracking turned on so they can see where I'm at. The link also allows them to send me messages in case of an emergency at home.
thanks... will do, actually Ive told my wife to contact you since your one of the few who has an idea of some of my spots. Ive put it off the past few days but still need to figure out my settings, dont like the idea of sharing a password where they can make changes to my device.
The Garmin Explore site only lets people with your special web link & password see where you are at on the map if you have activated tracking, and also to send you messages through the internet directly to your device. It doesn't grant them any access to your Garmin account. Your Garmin account would not be accessible by them.

My family has occasionally tried it out and found it interesting to see where I'd been wandering at.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 2nd, 2021, 1:15 pm

Koda wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 8:54 pm
Crusak wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 1:14 pm

Welcome to the club! Its use is the same or similar as my DeLorme inReachSE device, so if you have any questions about it just let me know. ;) You'll have to add me to your list of emergency contacts - I think I have you on my list.

I give my family the password protected link to track me when I'm out and have the tracking turned on so they can see where I'm at. The link also allows them to send me messages in case of an emergency at home.
thanks... will do, actually Ive told my wife to contact you since your one of the few who has an idea of some of my spots. Ive put it off the past few days but still need to figure out my settings, dont like the idea of sharing a password where they can make changes to my device.
The Garmin Explore site only lets people with your special web link & password see where you are at on the map if you have activated tracking, and also to send you messages through the internet directly to your device. It doesn't grant them any access to your Garmin account. Your Garmin account would not be accessible by them.

My family has occasionally tried it out and found it interesting to see where I'd been wandering at.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » April 2nd, 2021, 7:43 pm

Crusak wrote:
April 2nd, 2021, 1:15 pm

I only have the Freedom Safety plan till I figure out what I need best. It says 10+min tracking, but then also says .10cents track point. No idea what those mean I just want the thing to track my without doing anything so if I knock myself out someone can find my position.

I might need to test out the link feature on you to figure it out.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 2nd, 2021, 7:59 pm

On that plan it will cost you 10 per ping to track you every 10 min. If you go up to the next plan you get free unlimited tracking pings. And also I think 40 messages per month included for free. If you are knocked out your contacts can check your location with a ping as long as you are in an area that you’re able to have satellite coverage. If you’re in very heavy, heavy tree coverage or in a slot canyon would be areas where you might not have coverage. In those cases, they could at least see where you were on your track and your trajectory before you went out of coverage. It’s a pretty rare chance, but it is a small chance.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 3rd, 2021, 5:22 am

all I do is once a day message where I'm camping

and, if there was an emergency I could use it

I have the cheapest plan. I never use more than the 10 messages I get as part of the plan.

If you were going to do tracking, then you should get the next plan up like mjirving said

Koda

Post by Koda » April 3rd, 2021, 9:53 pm

so then it tracks me every 10 minutes but doesnt send those anywhere unless I send my track data or someone requests it (10cents each)?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 3rd, 2021, 11:33 pm

No, it doesn’t track you at all unless requested. You have to “start tracking” if you want it to track you. I think the default is every 10 min. But you can stretch that to every 20 or maybe even 30 to save power/cost. (It doesn’t save THAT much power, but some). It has to send a ping to track you and that ping costs 10 cents each on the lower plan or free on the next tier up.

Or...you don’t track yourself automatically but only manually, so you could send out a manual ping to say “here I am” or emergency services or your contacts can send a request for your location. (Which also costs 10 cents) but would only happen as needed instead of every ten minutes. The only catch there is that of course you have to be able to be seen by the satellite for that to work, which is most of the time but not guaranteed all of the time (as described in earlier posts)

Does that make sense?

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 4th, 2021, 10:23 am

Since the preset messages are free, if you want to "track" yourself you can just send an "I'm ok" preset message every so often, or when you're entering a new area, etc, and if you have it set to embed your map location then the message shows up on your map with the location it was sent. So you could leave a trail of preset messages as breadcrumbs. Or you can just make it save a tracking point every so often - for 10¢ each, you can buy a lot of those and still not pay as much in total as the next level service plan. But if you want to have the thing track you constantly every time you go out, maybe stepping up to the next level plan would be better.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

mjirving

Post by mjirving » April 4th, 2021, 10:48 am

Yeah nice hack. Could be used before and after maybe a crux of a hike where the risk might be a bit higher.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 4th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Bear with me as I learn this as I haven't had a chance to hike or take it out for a trial run....

So what I'm hearing is if I turn on tracking it charges me 10cents every 10 minutes under the Freedom Safety plan I have and still doesn't update my webpage map?

https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/inrea ... scriptions