RIP, my Costco trekking poles

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
squidvicious

Re: RIP, my Costco trekking poles

Post by squidvicious » March 13th, 2021, 10:15 am

texasbb wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm
I'm one of the few who don't like those Costco poles. Two things: the hard cork handles have sharp ridges that dig into fingers when the straps are used correctly; and the straps won't hold adjustment, requiring tightening every couple of hours or so. And the looser those straps get, the more irritating those hard ridges.
That's strange, I haven't experienced either of those things, with either set. They do change the design slightly year to year. It also seems like there may be some quality control issues, as amid all the glowing reviews I'll see people who had a bad set right out of the box. The first pair I bought the straps were twisted--in retrospect easily fixed, but it's Costco so I just returned them and got a new set. So maybe yours are a problematic year or bad individual pair?

This is why I'm mourning mine so much, because replacements will never be exactly the same.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 13th, 2021, 10:51 am

texasbb wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 8:12 am
That's good to know. Is there an option for straps that don't get loose all day long?
A stapler?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 13th, 2021, 12:49 pm

If you never need to adjust them a screw down through the top of the handle would probably do the trick.