RIP, my Costco trekking poles

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
squidvicious

RIP, my Costco trekking poles

Post by squidvicious » March 9th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Please join me in mourning the loss of my faithful Costco trekking poles, one of which I finally snapped this morning.

You were good and faithful poles. Through years of use and abuse, you were there for me. You caught me in innumberable falls. You bore my weight on unstable slopes where I didn't trust my feet to do it on their own. You vaulted me over gaps. You gave my anxious self the confidence to do things I wouldn't have dared otherwise. And don't get me started on all the spiderwebs.

I still live with the consequences of the one time I decided to leave you in the car, because "carrying poles for a quick trip around Latourell falls would just be silly." And then I promptly did the most minor, slo-mo slip in the mud that somehow wrenched my shoulder enough that it's never fully recovered. I'm sorry for doubting you.

Your replacement has been in my closet for years in anticipation of this inevitable day, but you were my first, and you can never really be replaced. Farewell, my friends. You will be missed.
Last edited by squidvicious on March 9th, 2021, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leiavoia

Re: RIP, Costco trekking poles

Post by leiavoia » March 9th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Don't scare me, man!

Title indicates Costco quit making trekking poles!

squidvicious

Re: RIP, my Costco trekking poles

Post by squidvicious » March 9th, 2021, 5:16 pm

That WOULD be scary! I still need to go buy a backup set for my recently-promoted backup set.

Slightly edited to clarify.

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm

My condolences.

Also good to know I'm not the only one who buys backups ahead of time. I have my current pair of boots, and another brand new pair of the same ones staged in my closet for the day my current pair wear out.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 11th, 2021, 7:34 pm

I've never broken one, in spite of being extremely aggressive/abusive. I weigh 145ish, so that might have something to do with it. The tips break off, but that's to be expected.

Broke an "ice axe" once, which I brag about at every opportunity. :D

[ice axe in quotes because it was one of those ultra-light models]

mjirving

Post by mjirving » March 11th, 2021, 10:01 pm

It was you who jinxed me Chip as I broke one of my Costco poles just before seeing you up on Hood! Those off-trail routes are brutal on trekking poles...which is why I didn’t bring my nice ones!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 12th, 2021, 7:34 am

Mike, you know I was thinking of you when I typed my reply! :lol:

texasbb

Post by texasbb » March 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm

I'm one of the few who don't like those Costco poles. Two things: the hard cork handles have sharp ridges that dig into fingers when the straps are used correctly; and the straps won't hold adjustment, requiring tightening every couple of hours or so. And the looser those straps get, the more irritating those hard ridges.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 13th, 2021, 8:00 am

texasbb wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm
I'm one of the few who don't like those Costco poles. Two things: the hard cork handles have sharp ridges that dig into fingers when the straps are used correctly; and the straps won't hold adjustment, requiring tightening every couple of hours or so. And the looser those straps get, the more irritating those hard ridges.
On amazon.com, you have the option to buy a version with foam grips. I don't know which grips Costco is selling these days.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » March 13th, 2021, 8:12 am

adamschneider wrote:
March 13th, 2021, 8:00 am
texasbb wrote:
March 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm
On amazon.com, you have the option to buy a version with foam grips. I don't know which grips Costco is selling these days.
That's good to know. Is there an option for straps that don't get loose all day long?