Seeking cheap, homemade, high-cal energy!

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
SWriverstone

Seeking cheap, homemade, high-cal energy!

Post by SWriverstone » February 17th, 2021, 4:18 pm

I'm looking for alternatives to something like Joe's Ultralight Moose Goo—high energy foods for the trail that are cheap and easy to make.

I don't mind Moose Goo, just looking for more!

I'm healthy and have all my teeth...but I prefer stuff I can just suck down fast without having to chew. I've tried dozens of different brands of energy bars and generally find they all pretty much taste like compressed sawdust, LOL.

I've googled various kinds of homemade energy gels (that's how I found Moose Goo, I think), just curious to see if anyone else has found a "secret food weapon" for the trail?

I'm in good shape and strong...but I'm someone who has a really tough time eating real food (e.g. food you have to chew before swallowing) when I'm really working hard (think really long, fast hikes with a lot of climbing). Hence my desire to find something that I can just swill down easily that packs a wallop of calories and can potentially fuel me all day. (Or something that's about as effortless to chew as a banana.)

Any ideas? :-)

PS - Yes, I can eat things like tortillas and peanut butter...but I admit on some hikes I don't like to take leisurely breaks—which is why I'm looking for some fuel that's as easy as pulling out your water bottle and taking a few swigs while hiking.

leiavoia

Re: Seeking cheap, homemade, high-cal energy!

Post by leiavoia » February 17th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Fudge. One of the highest calorie things you can eat, and soft too. Great after dinner option on long cold nights when backpacking. You can make this yourself.

Gummies. These are basically pure sugar, but always refreshing and welcomed on long uphill climbs. It’s the one thing that rides up front in my hip belt pocket. I like the ones in the blue bag from Trader Joe’s. Those are not homemade but you could make fruit leather which actually has nutritional value too. It’s just fruit and sugar cooked down and dehydrated.

johnspeth

Post by johnspeth » February 18th, 2021, 5:24 am

I'm in the habit of eating a huge bowl of oatmeal (no sugar added) with walnuts and raisins right before I set out. I make it at home, pack it in an insulated soft-sided container with towels wrapping it to keep it warm, and eat it at the trailhead. Lately I've been able to power through the day while only drinking large amounts of water. Eventually I hit a limit late in the day that requires me to eat additional food (I bring a sandwich, sometimes not eaten until I get back to the car). I could carry my oatmeal but I don't like to eat it cold.

Of course YMMV due to your preferences and rate of burn.

Lisa Simpson said to Bart while preparing him for his miniature golf contest: Oats are what a champion thoroughbred eats before he or she wins the Kentucky Derby. :)

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 18th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Beer seem to work for Chip Down. :)

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 19th, 2021, 10:28 pm

johnspeth wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 5:24 am
Oats
Webfoot wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 2:32 pm
Beer
Oatmeal stout! :D

I too find it difficult to eat when hiking. I'm always in a hurry, and sometimes I just don't feel like eating, or my hands are cold and I don't want to be gloveless. Maybe a couple years ago, I started carrying a liter of milk. It's hydrating and nutritious. Yes, it is heavy, but so is water. If you're on a dry route where you have to carry water anyway, then there's no weight penalty. Gotta be real careful about spills/leaks. Spoilage isn't much of an issue. I buy ultra-pasteurized, or I put the bottle in an insulator with a couple frozen juice pouches. Even on the hottest days, it's perfectly safe.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » March 7th, 2021, 2:20 pm

A combination of whole powdered milk, hot chocolate mix, protein powder and an optional pack of Via makes for a quick drinking meal. You will need to have a dedicated bottle for this mix (24oz gatorade bottle works well) as it does not clean up nicely. You can pre-make the powder and put them in serving-size packets. Add mix, water and shake for a couple minutes as you walk. An alternative would be the Soylent meals but add some MCT oil for denser calories.

illbeyourhuckleberry

Post by illbeyourhuckleberry » August 25th, 2021, 10:56 pm

There are a lot of peanut and almond butters that come in squeeze packages.