replacement for foam support in daypack?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Mukluk

replacement for foam support in daypack?

Post by Mukluk » January 10th, 2021, 8:41 pm

I have an REI daypack that quickly ends up folded in half in an awkward position if there are only a few things in it.

It has a sheet foam pad insert against my back, but that's not stiff enough to keep from folding. I'm thinking of gluing some vertical thin wood or plastic strips to the foam to stiffen it up.

Any better recommendations for how to keep the pack's shape? Or a replacement material for the pad?

Thanks!

Webfoot

Re: replacement for foam support in daypack?

Post by Webfoot » January 11th, 2021, 10:03 am

I think expanded polypropylene (EPP) sheet would work mechanically if you can fit a thick enough piece. It would probably also be sweaty so I would plan on holes for breathability but they would need to be thoughtfully applied to avoid compromising the stiffness of the sheet.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 12th, 2021, 8:53 am

As I understand it, the foam sheet resides in a pocket inside the pack, and can be removed (or if it can't be removed, at least the pocket is open at the top so additional layers can be added).

Rather than adding strips, I would add a full sheet. But if you're generally happy with the pack's structure, other than the annoying folding, then I suppose adding some ribs would help. For a daypack, I wouldn't want it to be completely rigid. That's just me though; some manufacturers do, or used to, use aluminum bars, generally one on each side (left and right).

I wish packs were more versatile. I'd like to see more packs featuring removable back support, so users can easily customize to suit their needs.

Mukluk

Post by Mukluk » January 12th, 2021, 6:35 pm

Webfoot wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 10:03 am
I think expanded polypropylene (EPP) sheet would work mechanically if you can fit a thick enough piece. It would probably also be sweaty so I would plan on holes for breathability but they would need to be thoughtfully applied to avoid compromising the stiffness of the sheet.
I don't see any cheap options for EPP online, just big sheets for $40 and up. Know of any local sources?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 13th, 2021, 10:41 am

RC hobby shops may have smaller pieces. I think the #1.9 (pound per cubic foot) density may be enough but denser would probably be better; handle it first to check stiffness if possible.

https://windcatcherrc.com/product/9mm-t ... p-36-x-24/

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » January 14th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Seen them at the fabric store too, not sure of the price, but I did take note for future foam carving projects
- Michael

Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton » January 28th, 2021, 4:13 am

Isn't it easier to get a smaller backpack for those situations when you don't need to put a lot of things in your backpack? After all, it will be more convenient than carrying a healthy backpack, in which several things dangle on the go.

Mukluk

Post by Mukluk » January 31st, 2021, 3:00 pm

It's a pretty small pack.

I got a hydration bladder and it gives the pack enough structure to keep it's shape, at least until it's almost empty.