Microfiber cleaning

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Kalarv

Microfiber cleaning

Post by Kalarv » November 1st, 2020, 7:55 am

Just out of curiosity,

How many of you regularly use a special chemical for washing microfiber towels?

I wonder if using a fabric softener will do the same, if not, what the differences between the two can be ("microfiber cleaning liquid" and "fabric softener").

I am running out of microfiber detergent concentrate and I am wondering if it is really worth it or not because I don't see much difference when using this tbh...

Webfoot

Re: Microfiber cleaning

Post by Webfoot » November 1st, 2020, 8:58 am

Fabric softeners are often specifically proscribed on technical clothing as these leave coatings that interfere with their performance.

https://www.patagonia.com/product-care.html
Adding fabric softener or dryer sheets to your laundering process can increase softness but it achieves the improved hand feel by depositing waxy agents on the surface of the fabric. This waxy residue left behind on your clothes can:
  • Impair moisture wicking/ quick drying
  • Inhibit odor control
  • Reduce longevity of spandex content

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 2nd, 2020, 6:43 pm

I toss them in with the regular laundry and have for years. I don't see any difference in the effectiveness with regular laundry detergent.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton » November 17th, 2020, 5:57 am

For microfiber, as well as for quick-drying fabrics from which sportswear is sewn, ordinary fabric softener is not suitable. Special detergents are recommended.