sleeping pads

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
guamsean

sleeping pads

Post by guamsean » July 29th, 2020, 8:03 pm

so my next question is: sleeping pads.

my 20yr old therm-a-toss-and-turn finally bit it with an unpatchable ember hole.

fast forward to now, and they've changed! ultralight? $200? what the heck?

i'm trying to go semi-ultralight with my gear. like everyone else, i'm looking for the best affordable deal on something that doesn't weigh much but still is better than sleeping on the ground. i'm not tough on gear, but don't want anything flimsy.

i really can't see spending more than $50, and i'd like a pad that weighs less than 2lbs. i still have a crappy solid foam thing i can roll out if nothing else.

i've seen some interesting deals at Next Adventure, but i'm not sure about their house brand.

suggestions? thanks

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: sleeping pads

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » July 30th, 2020, 5:32 am

It sounds like you're not too fond of the foam pads, so you'll have to go with an inflatable.

I'm not sure there is any reasonably priced inflatable; unless you're willing to go with a short pad, or if you're lucky enough to find one used.

I know that my reply was completely unhelpful. But from what I've seen there isn't many options as far as pricing goes.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 30th, 2020, 6:02 am

yeah, foam pads are too uncomfortable to me

Therma-rest Pro Lite is $95. 1 pound 2 ounces. I sleep okay on that. Maybe catch it on sale or something?

Neo-air is more comfortable, 1 pound, $225, a little out of my price range, thicker and more comfortable than pro-lite

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 31st, 2020, 3:00 am

The Neo Air X-Lite has kind of been the UL gold standard for many years. I had a 3/4 length one that weighed 8oz. After several years of not-great sleeping (it’s slippery and not that comfortable for me) I switched to the REI Flash (the less warm one of the two styles...the red one). It’s slightly heavier, but cheaper and very comfortable and not slippery. It’s a waffle-style pattern. I love it. It’s still not super cheap but pretty reasonable...a good item to get with one of the 20% REI coupons. It also packs up very small...almost as small as the neo air.

Mike

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » August 2nd, 2020, 5:47 pm

They're expensive but I also recommend the therma-rest. Super comfy, easy to inflate, small, light. I've floated around the lake on it. Multipurpose :)

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » August 5th, 2020, 8:04 pm

I've got a Thermarest NeoAir and I just got tired of blowing it up every night so I downgraded to the Thermarest Z-SOL foam pad out of laziness. Most other people seem to go the other direction, but I think its not that bad once you get used to it, and foam is definitely the cheapest option around.

If you don't wanna shell out the 150-200$ for a new fangled thermarest, Klymit has some pretty decent options in the 50-80$ range. I'd stay away from any no name / store brand version though, as my experience has been those will go flat on you in a week or two and thats not a fun way to wake up.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 5th, 2020, 8:59 pm

buckwheat wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 8:04 pm
Most other people seem to go the other direction...
Most people are getting older year after year. I recently decided to stop using a ThermaRest ProLite 4 self-inflating 3/4 length pad, due to old bones. I went half a pound heavier, but much more comfortable, with a Q-Core Deluxe 66" Insulated air mattress. It was a good decision.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » August 12th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I have a hard time shelling out $150 for the ultralight matresses but Costco frequently stocks the Klymit Static V2 pad. 20x72x2.5 inches, 16oz and $60. Pretty durable and not a noisy pad to sleep on. Pretty much a summer pad though due to poor heat reflectivity.

guamsean

Post by guamsean » August 13th, 2020, 10:40 am

thanks for all the tips. i picked up a used thermarest 48" - not sure about the model- for $30, just to get me by until i can donate enough plasma to earn enough for an expensive, light, comfy pad. :lol: