Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
User avatar
kepPNW
Posts: 6406
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 9:55 am
Location: Salmon Creek

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2020, 5:32 am

adamschneider wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:27 am
I use OsmAnd. They update the maps with the latest OSM data every month, they offer a variety of view styles, and you DO have the option to download free contour lines and hillshading, if you can spare the space.
pnwnerd wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 7:08 pm
I have been using OsmAnd for probably a year and it's been great. Got the whole state in topo and some sort of shading overlay which I'm not sure if I have enabled or not.
For some reason, I'm only just starting to look at OsmAnd. Really liking what I see! But about these topo lines... Seems like it's no longer free? Gotta buy that plug-in?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 3241
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by adamschneider » August 27th, 2020, 9:25 am

kepPNW wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 5:32 am
For some reason, I'm only just starting to look at OsmAnd. Really liking what I see! But about these topo lines... Seems like it's no longer free? Gotta buy that plug-in?
I had no idea they were charging for the extras, because I subscribe to "OsmAnd Live": for $7.49/year, you get access to all the "Plus" features, including the contours/hillshading. (In my case, I end up recouping the cost because they distribute half of the proceeds to active OpenStreetMap contributors like me.)

The most important extra feature to me is hourly (instead of monthly) updates to the underlying OSM data. Most of the time, when I have a hike planned, I edit the OSM data in that neighborhood to make sure it's correct... and then afterwards I edit it again, based on any notes I took when I was out.

If you're hell-bent on not paying, you can load in a custom layer with online tile-based hillshading, and/or USFS/USGS maps that have contour lines.

User avatar
poppacouch
Posts: 38
Joined: May 24th, 2019, 1:47 pm
Location: Beaverton, OR

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by poppacouch » August 27th, 2020, 10:57 am

Adam, do you mind sharing why you chose this over GAIA? I currently use GAIA and it seems toBe popular in hiking circles, is feature rich (as a paid subscriber), but this seems much cheaper and I’m always on the lookout for a cheap alternative if it gets the job done.

User avatar
kepPNW
Posts: 6406
Joined: June 21st, 2012, 9:55 am
Location: Salmon Creek

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by kepPNW » August 27th, 2020, 11:50 am

adamschneider wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:25 am
I had no idea they were charging for the extras, because I subscribe to "OsmAnd Live": for $7.49/year, you get access to all the "Plus" features, including the contours/hillshading. (In my case, I end up recouping the cost because they distribute half of the proceeds to active OpenStreetMap contributors like me.)

The most important extra feature to me is hourly (instead of monthly) updates to the underlying OSM data. Most of the time, when I have a hike planned, I edit the OSM data in that neighborhood to make sure it's correct... and then afterwards I edit it again, based on any notes I took when I was out.
That's not a bad price either, for the frequency you want that data updated. When you say "instead of monthly" does that imply a new map is available that often for download for everyone else? Would they typically need to manually download those updates, or are they pushed automagically?
adamschneider wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:25 am
If you're hell-bent on not paying, you can load in a custom layer with online tile-based hillshading, and/or USFS/USGS maps that have contour lines.
No, $5 isn't gonna make a difference in my life, one way or the other. Was just asking if that was indeed the "smart" way to go, or if other/better alternatives existed, given I'm a total newb to the product. My feeling was that, by and large, contours don't change a lot over the years and by themselves don't argue very strongly for an annual subscription fee.

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

RobFromRedland
Posts: 1007
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by RobFromRedland » August 27th, 2020, 12:27 pm

kepPNW wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 11:50 am
adamschneider wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:25 am
I had no idea they were charging for the extras, because I subscribe to "OsmAnd Live": for $7.49/year, you get access to all the "Plus" features, including the contours/hillshading. (In my case, I end up recouping the cost because they distribute half of the proceeds to active OpenStreetMap contributors like me.)

The most important extra feature to me is hourly (instead of monthly) updates to the underlying OSM data. Most of the time, when I have a hike planned, I edit the OSM data in that neighborhood to make sure it's correct... and then afterwards I edit it again, based on any notes I took when I was out.
That's not a bad price either, for the frequency you want that data updated. When you say "instead of monthly" does that imply a new map is available that often for download for everyone else? Would they typically need to manually download those updates, or are they pushed automagically?
adamschneider wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:25 am
If you're hell-bent on not paying, you can load in a custom layer with online tile-based hillshading, and/or USFS/USGS maps that have contour lines.
No, $5 isn't gonna make a difference in my life, one way or the other. Was just asking if that was indeed the "smart" way to go, or if other/better alternatives existed, given I'm a total newb to the product. My feeling was that, by and large, contours don't change a lot over the years and by themselves don't argue very strongly for an annual subscription fee.

Thanks!
I think the subscription fees are more for maintaining the app part of it rather than the map data. Access to map tiles is part of the cost, but due to all the OS updates, phone updates and changes, etc, it is important to have someone maintaining the app so that it continues to function. $7.50/year is pretty cheap.

Gaia and BCNav are both continuing to develop new features for the app too which is probably why their prices are more. (I'm guessing)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW-What a ride!

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 3241
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by adamschneider » August 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm

poppacouch wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 10:57 am
Adam, do you mind sharing why you chose this over GAIA? I currently use GAIA and it seems toBe popular in hiking circles, is feature rich (as a paid subscriber), but this seems much cheaper and I’m always on the lookout for a cheap alternative if it gets the job done.
I've seen Gaia on friends' iPhones, and it's always seemed extremely lacking compared to Backcountry Navigator or OsmAnd. Waypoint icons couldn't be edited, for one thing. Custom tile layers couldn't be added. (Maybe more recent versions have addressed these shortcomings?)

Besides, Gaia seems to be very focused on the community/sharing/cloud thing, and I don't give a marmot's ass about that. I just want a MAP - and one that I have complete control over. If I can't customize it, I don't want it - which is why I'll never have an iPhone.

User avatar
aiwetir
Posts: 538
Joined: December 10th, 2014, 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by aiwetir » August 27th, 2020, 5:42 pm

adamschneider wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I've seen Gaia on friends' iPhones, and it's always seemed extremely lacking compared to Backcountry Navigator or OsmAnd. Waypoint icons couldn't be edited, for one thing. Custom tile layers couldn't be added. (Maybe more recent versions have addressed these shortcomings?)

Besides, Gaia seems to be very focused on the community/sharing/cloud thing, and I don't give a marmot's ass about that. I just want a MAP - and one that I have complete control over. If I can't customize it, I don't want it - which is why I'll never have an iPhone.
For years now with Gaia on iPhone you can change waypoint icons and they have an online tool to add any {x}{y}{z} map (is that WMS?). You can also download your custom maps, even Google if you want to violate someone’s TOS. Their vector based topo basemap is pretty good now and it’s pretty small to download a whole state.

I’m not defending them as I don’t even use it anymore because I got soured on their customer service but it’s quite good IMO. It’s pretty full featured and I think it just comes down to simple things like personal preference and UI/UX when it comes to choosing an app. They offer a ton of custom maps and you can access them (and your custom ones) on their website too.
- Michael

User avatar
adamschneider
Posts: 3241
Joined: May 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Location: SE Portland
Contact:

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by adamschneider » August 27th, 2020, 8:52 pm

aiwetir wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 5:42 pm
For years now with Gaia on iPhone you can change waypoint icons and they have an online tool to add any {x}{y}{z} map (is that WMS?).
JOSM calls that "TMS" (tiled map service).

Good to know Gaia has improved, for the sake of my iPhone-using friends.

Post Reply