Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
retired jerry

Re: Thinking about trying GPS again. Is there a model that would satisfy me?

Post by retired jerry » October 20th, 2019, 9:16 am

On my last trip I went from snowgrass trailhead to Randle using an obscure route. I got off the area I had at high res. Then it was the low res version which was sort of screwy. I got out though. Obviously, or I wouldn't be typing this :)

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 20th, 2019, 10:18 am

Another thing to consider is some more permanent offline OSM maps like Maps.me or something like that. For 133 mb you can have the whole state of Oregon on your device, signal or not. Doesn't have topography, does have trails, just a basemap.

If you have an iPhone and $6 there's another offline OSM map product that isn't well known called Pocket Earth that does have a somewhat lower resolution set of contour lines. Again you can have OSM basemaps of Oregon for 77mb and topography for another 125mb.

Another option is a gently used Garmin handheld from eBay. I just sold a 64 on there for about $170 (almost the same price you can get it new there too) I find the user interface more confusing than my smartphone

Most smartphone apps I use are very easy on the battery now, certainly much better than just a few years ago.
- Michael

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 20th, 2019, 10:27 am

aiwetir wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:18 am
Another thing to consider is some more permanent offline OSM maps like Maps.me or something like that. For 133 mb you can have the whole state of Oregon on your device, signal or not. Doesn't have topography, does have trails, just a basemap.
I use OsmAnd. They update the maps with the latest OSM data every month, they offer a variety of view styles, and you DO have the option to download free contour lines and hillshading, if you can spare the space.

(Unfortunately, like many of the apps out there, neither OsmAnd nor Maps.me offers custom waypoint icons like Garmin and Backcountry Navigator do.)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2019, 10:30 am

Best newcomer to the phone offerings has to be the Caltopo app. If you already use their website, for example to make maps to use with Avenza, you absolutely must give the phone app a spin! (People really seem to rave about Gaia, but I just don't get it. Seems ridiculously overpriced, given other free offerings.)
Last edited by kepPNW on October 20th, 2019, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 20th, 2019, 10:32 am

kepPNW wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:30 am
Best newcomer to the phone offerings has to be the Caltopo app. If you already use their website, for example to make maps to use with Avenza, you absolutely must give the phone app a spin!
I didn't know they had an app, I'll have to check it out.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 20th, 2019, 10:38 am

adamschneider wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:27 am
I use OsmAnd...
I was about to say that I couldn't use OSMAnd because of the cartoonish interface but it looks like they changed it. :D
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

adamschneider wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:32 am
kepPNW wrote:
Best newcomer to the phone offerings has to be the Caltopo app. If you already use their website, for example to make maps to use with Avenza, you absolutely must give the phone app a spin!
I didn't know they had an app, I'll have to check it out.
I've almost given up on Avenza, due to it. I have maps stored on Caltopo, with all my tracks around a given mountain. So easy to pull up a map of Hood or Saint Helens, and see everywhere I've been, on and off trail, with their Map Builder overlay below, land ownership, fire history, it's all there. Love it!
Karl

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 20th, 2019, 10:42 am

kepPNW wrote:
Best newcomer to the phone offerings has to be the Caltopo app.
I use Caltopo in my route planning on the computer at home, (love using it for slope steepness for off-route planning), but I wasn't aware of an app and don't find one on the app store. Is it Android? Does it exist?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2019, 10:45 am

mjirving wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:42 am
kepPNW wrote:
Best newcomer to the phone offerings has to be the Caltopo app.
I use Caltopo in my route planning on the computer at home, (love using it for slope steepness for off-route planning), but I wasn't aware of an app and don't find one on the app store. Is it Android? Does it exist?
You will positively adore this app, if you're planning your hikes, already, on Caltopo.com!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_US

Because it's still beta, see also:

http://help.caltopo.com/discussions/android
Karl

mjirving

Post by mjirving » October 20th, 2019, 10:49 am

[/quote]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d&hl=en_US
[/quote]

Doen't appear to be on the iPhone app store.