looking for a minimalist day pack

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chip Down

Re: looking for a minimalist day pack

Post by Chip Down » August 4th, 2019, 7:06 pm

My pack selection is getting more feedback than some of my TRs! :lol:

Webfoot:
I can't say if I saw that pack when I was shopping, so can't say why I balked at it (if I did). All I can do is consider what I'd think if I ran across it in a showroom. This is going to be a ridiculously nuanced analysis, because I'm trying to imagine my immediate gut feeling, which doesn't always stand up to scrutiny. It seems cluttered, haphazard, weird. The way the black lines splay out as they rise, the swooping side panels, the funky mish-mash of compression straps, the strange unnecessary stitching. Truth is, if I used it for a few trips, I'd probably adapt to all that and would find it works just fine. BTW, I've never cared for dual lid buckles, but I will admit it integrates well with the daisy chains, and leaves the center unencumbered.

Bosterson:
A travel pack? But it has an ice axe loop! Oh well, all the better to go with my blunt crampons (maybe I should face them in; surely they couldn't puncture the fabric). But seriously, I've only taken a file to crampons once in my life. When I bought them, I was surprised BD added a sharpening operation, rather than selling them as-stamped. I've never felt insecure in them. If I were to find myself on water ice or bona-fide glacial ice, I'd probably wet myself regardless of what I had on my feet. I was tempted to post a pic of the spike on my oldest Raven. Your reaction would be one of these: :shock: :? :lol: :roll: :| But it's in my car; I'm not putting shoes on.

As for rope, if I carry one at all it's just a short piece of static line, 40'-70'. It goes at the bottom of the pack.

Yep, my main concern about zip opening is that you can't overstuff it the way you can with a lid. Oh well. It's actually like a lid, except it zips. One intriguing possibility is to flip the lid inside, thus creating an open top. Then you can put large compressible items (jacket is the obvious example) at the top (either alone or in a stuff sack) and cinch them in using the three-point haul loops (I know, it's weird, I can't explain why my "travel" pack has three-point haul loops). That sounds like a lot of trouble, but the point is, it's got that versatility if I ever want to do that, and if I don't, then it reverts to normal (much like my comment about the way I can utilize the daisy chains).

Pictured below is what I'm retiring after many years of faithful service: North Face Exocet. The year I bought mine they finally added a real hip belt, but the side pockets went mesh, which I hated. Funny though, those mesh pockets held up just fine.
Attachments
exocet.jpg

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 4th, 2019, 8:15 pm

It wasn't a jab about it being a travel pack, that was from Arc'teryx's website: https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/brize-25-backpack

40-70 ft of rope isn't that much, but where did you get static?? I didn't think they made static in small diameter, unless it's a chopped tag line? Or from one of those Mammut (?) specially rappel setups that comes with like a 6mm static rap line?

That Osprey also has a 3 point haul option and that seems like such severe overkill for a 20L pack that will weigh 20 lbs absolute tops.

Amazed you managed to kill an Exocet, that thing is from the era of packs that were indestructible (plastic buckles notwithstanding). I think the Patagonia Ascensionist 30 would've fit the bill for you (the top cinch design is pretty neat, and it comes in excellent early 90s retro Spectra grid color schemes), but surely your yuppie Arc'teryx travel pack will serve you well. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 5th, 2019, 2:47 am

Bosterson wrote:
August 4th, 2019, 8:15 pm
40-70 ft of rope isn't that much, but where did you get static?? I didn't think they made static in small diameter, unless it's a chopped tag line?
Static canyoneering rope is widely available in 8mm.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 5th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Bosterson wrote:
It wasn't a jab about it being a travel pack, that was from Arc'teryx's website
Yeah, but they describe it as a technical pack that can transition to urban/travel use.
Bosterson wrote:
40-70 ft of rope isn't that much, but where did you get static??
You know most of my gear is antique, right? Heck, I think I bought my Exocet at GI Joe's (maybe you're too young to remember).
Bosterson wrote:
Amazed you managed to kill an Exocet, that thing is from the era of packs that were indestructible (plastic buckles notwithstanding).
Plastic buckles are indeed failing. Top anchor points for shoulder straps are starting to go. Hip belt anchors are tearing out. Most significantly, the bottom is getting so thin you can see light through it. No holes, just overall thinning. Wish I had taken better care of it. Should have bought a cheap throwaway for the casual hikes. Or maybe I should have bought a backup Exocet.
Bosterson wrote:
... surely your yuppie Arc'teryx travel pack will serve you well. ;)
I can't complain about that jab...after all, I did buy it on NW 23rd.

Something I forgot to mention about my preference for simple packs: I get filthy/wet on bushwhacks. A simple pack will absorb less water than a bells/whistles model, and will be easier to clean. I can hose it down at the carwash on the way home, hang it on a tree overnight, and I'm good to go.