Newbie question: hiking boots or Merrells?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Daniel Eagan

Newbie question: hiking boots or Merrells?

Post by Daniel Eagan » August 7th, 2017, 9:54 am

First trip to Oregon this coming weekend, hope to hike to Paradise Park from Timberline Lodge.

Do we need heavy duty hiking boots or will Merrell Moabs be okay? We climbed Angels Landing in Zion and Wheeler in New Mexico last summer comfortably in Merrells. We usually hike in the Adirondacks, where hiking boots are mandatory.

Appreciate any advice.
Daniel Eagan
NE 111, NE Hundred Highest
Twitter: @Film_Legacy
http://www.filmlegacy.net/blog/

xrp

Re: Newbie question: hiking boots or Merrells?

Post by xrp » August 7th, 2017, 11:01 am

Merrell Moabs will be fine.

I've done that route plenty of times in my Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 7th, 2017, 11:34 am

You don't need heavy-duty hiking boots for anything unless you're going to be carrying 50-lb. packs.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 7th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Moabs will be absolutely fine there! Only consideration with any "short" shoes on a volcanic landscape might be sand gaiters (eg, Dirty Girl, et al.) to keep the ash out. I go both with and without, and really appreciate not having to empty my shoes as often when I go with.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 7th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:We usually hike in the Adirondacks, where hiking boots are mandatory.
I am fascinated by that statement. Why are they mandatory?

Daniel Eagan

Post by Daniel Eagan » August 8th, 2017, 3:52 am

Webfoot wrote:
Daniel Eagan wrote:We usually hike in the Adirondacks, where hiking boots are mandatory.
I am fascinated by that statement. Why are they mandatory?
Mandatory for me because the trails are too difficult otherwise, lots of rock slabs, exposed roots, mossy rocks, few if any switchbacks, deep mud pits, and many trails that simply follow streambeds. If it's wet, muddy, slippery, and steep, I like more ankle protection.

I probably could hike in the Adirondacks in Merrells, but I wouldn't feel comfortable.
Daniel Eagan
NE 111, NE Hundred Highest
Twitter: @Film_Legacy
http://www.filmlegacy.net/blog/

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » August 8th, 2017, 12:58 pm

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

JeffreyHoward

Post by JeffreyHoward » September 8th, 2017, 4:05 am

Daniel Eagan wrote: I probably could hike in the Adirondacks in Merrells, but I wouldn't feel comfortable.
That's so true. I hiked in the Adirondacks without proper hiking shoes a while ago, and it wasn't an easy experience. :D

UTurn

Post by UTurn » September 8th, 2017, 6:44 am

I just did the loop around the Three Sisters in Altras. Very light and great on the trail. I also did it 3 years ago in a pair of heavier hiking boots. I now prefer to go light on my feet and will use my heavy boots for winter.

https://www.altrarunning.com/women/lone-peak-30

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2017, 8:13 am

A lot of people use shoes all the time. They can weigh a pound less than boots. Weight on your feet is many times as bad as weight on your back.

I've tried them some. Good in hot weather. Good if you have to cross deep streams because they dry out quicker.

I use mid height boots most of the time. For shallow streams, I can cross without getting my feet wet. With shoes it tends to get in over the top of the shoes. Also, mid height boots keeps dirt and rocks out better. Gore-Tex keeps my feet pretty dry even in rain or wet brush. My socks are a little damp at the end of the day - in some cases they would be drier with breathable shoes.

It's good to try shoes and see what is preferred. Many people like them even with a heavy pack or walking on rocky uneven surfaces.