4 person backpacking tent?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
somegeek

4 person backpacking tent?

Post by somegeek » June 15th, 2017, 8:09 am

I'm looking at options for a 4 person tent for backpacking with my wife and two kids(7 & 9 yr old boys).

Been kicking around using (2) 2-person tents or a 4-person tent.

Curious if folks have gone through the same process and what they landed on?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Chazz

Re: 4 person backpacking tent?

Post by Chazz » June 15th, 2017, 10:07 am

The Lincoln Navigator of ultralight backpack tents: https://www.tarptent.com/hogback.html

Slightly more than four pounds. The alternative is you bring two tents...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 15th, 2017, 1:11 pm

The Hogback looks a bit small to me. It's only high right in the middle and the rest is low.

The Copper Spur HV UL4 is ten inches wider and looks like it has a lot more room inside.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 15th, 2017, 8:11 pm

somegeek wrote:Curious if folks have gone through the same process and what they landed on?
Ive actually gone thru the same process, although I haven't landed on anything because of the price. It seems if you want ultra light (for backpacking) and space, your gonna pay a lot. Room for 4 would be ideal on many trips where 4 person or where extra room to spread out is desired.

your options are that Henry Shires Hogback or...
what I'm considering in the Hyperlite UltaMid4 pyramid tarp, but the price kills me right now.

That Big Agnes might be a good compromise on price/weight... but my general shelter rule is 1lb per person MAX. Honestly, would probably be a good compromise with kids involved.

don't forget with any option these extra large shelters take up 2x to 4x more space in your pack than a 1or 2 person shelter.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ultamid-4.html

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 16th, 2017, 7:11 am

Once you throw in equipment, I usually take at least 1, possibly 2 people off the "rating" on most tents.. 4 full grown people in a 4 person tent is tight.

Personally I'd learn towards multiple tents. You could probably get by with 1 for now, but in just a couple years those kids are going to be growing fast, and you'll need more space.

Koda

Post by Koda » June 16th, 2017, 8:23 am

Lurch wrote:Once you throw in equipment, I usually take at least 1, possibly 2 people off the "rating" on most tents.. 4 full grown people in a 4 person tent is tight.
I honestly take off 1 person automatically. The marketing by tent makers is unrealistic in practice. Yes, you can cram 4 people in a 4 person tent but who really leaves all their stuff outside, especially when raining. This is why I've been looking into a 4 person shelter for my adventures with just one other person.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 16th, 2017, 10:23 am

Am I seeing right that the UltaMid4 is just a rainfly with no tent body, floor, or poles? The price for that seems nuts! :shock:

The HV UL4 is specified at 96" wide so you could theoretically fit three 25" pads and one 20" pad in there. Tight to be sure but more of a true 4P tent than some others.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 16th, 2017, 10:35 am

Koda wrote:
Lurch wrote:Once you throw in equipment, I usually take at least 1, possibly 2 people off the "rating" on most tents.. 4 full grown people in a 4 person tent is tight.
I honestly take off 1 person automatically. The marketing by tent makers is unrealistic in practice. Yes, you can cram 4 people in a 4 person tent but who really leaves all their stuff outside, especially when raining. This is why I've been looking into a 4 person shelter for my adventures with just one other person.
Agreed, maybe I understated what I meant by "tight"..

I think a military style 2 man pup tent is pretty much the standard example... I can't think of any reasonable person that would go camping and call that a 2 man tent, that's a normal persons single man tent with barely enough room for a pack. Although it would probably fit 2 kids

Koda

Post by Koda » June 16th, 2017, 11:33 am

Webfoot wrote:Am I seeing right that the UltaMid4 is just a rainfly with no tent body, floor, or poles? The price for that seems nuts! :shock:

The HV UL4 is specified at 96" wide so you could theoretically fit three 25" pads and one 20" pad in there. Tight to be sure but more of a true 4P tent than some others.
Check out its weight...

They do make an inner tent for it, but at that price it should at least come with it...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 16th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Hey, that was just my reaction, perhaps out of ignorance. Have you priced out sailcloth to make your own, or is such cloth available only to certain sailmakers?