4 person backpacking tent?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Re: 4 person backpacking tent?

Post by Koda » June 16th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Webfoot wrote:Hey, that was just my reaction, perhaps out of ignorance. Have you priced out sailcloth to make your own, or is such cloth available only to certain sailmakers?
No, although Ive recently looked at the idea of making my own except I really dont know how. I know there are other manufacturers offering pyramid shelters in silnylon, which is cheaper but heavier. the biggest thing for me right now is that Im not doing as much backpacking so I make what I have already work (each bring their own shelter or share the weight of a traditional tent. When I get back into this more I will take a harder look at buying something like this....)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

lbernardrivas

Post by lbernardrivas » June 17th, 2017, 6:55 am

We got the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 for 2 adults a kid and a dog and it's been great. Room for our packs.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » June 21st, 2017, 7:48 pm

We have the Copper Spur HV UL3, for two of us, and found lots of extra room, fwiw. One 25" and one 20" sleeping pad.

A thought -- two 2-3 person tents offers flexibility. Wouldn't have to carry a really large tent if only 2 people going. Also tent for the two kids is a bit more adventure for them, I would think.

Commentary on the CS HVUL3 - I'm a little confused on how to secure the screen door back. The door tab, to the loop, seem to be literally a stretch to access. And our first use (in May) was during the rain (and a bit of snow). Small amount of water pooled on the top of the tent, but nothing to worry about. Tent performed very nicely overall.

Kelly

pcg

Post by pcg » June 21st, 2017, 8:48 pm

Check out these tents...
http://warmlite.com/tents

They make 1,2,3 and 5 person versions. They are not cheap, but they are lightweight, rock solid in high wind, simple to set up, and a true double wall 4-season tent. My wife and I use the 2-person version with mesh windows (so it makes a very good summer tent as well) and we fit ourselves and two backpacks inside so I suspect the 5-person would be ample for your needs.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 21st, 2017, 10:41 pm

They claim that (with options) their tents can withstand 160mph winds, which is amazing. :o

However how is this a five person tent?

The rectangular area is only 64" by 90"? That won't take even three 25" rectangular pads, and three 20" pads would be a tight fit? What arrangement are they proposing to get five people in there?

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 22nd, 2017, 7:38 am

I would guess something like this?
tent.jpg
tent.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 5928 times
My fuzzy math says that tent would have about 87.5 sq ft of floor space (not saying that would all be usable) but divided by 5 that would give each person roughly 17.5 sq ft, that's actually on the roomier side for a wilderness tent. that's 2.5' wide x 7' long... Not that you could drop 5 of those rectangles in there, but manufacturer logic says they'd fit ;)

Koda

Post by Koda » June 22nd, 2017, 8:10 am

Maybe that picture is more of a generic infographic, and somewhere there is notes on the actual dimensions of the size you order? The website is definetely set up poorly..

Never heard of this company, but honestly their tents look interesting and innovative and address some issues Ive wanted to see other brands cover. The 2 arched poles guyed out opposite is one I have always thought of but never seen.... maximize internal space and headroom and save weight. The weights of their designs is close enough to my own guideline of 1lb per person to be light enough.
This is a cool find in UL shelter options, glad to have this shared here.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

sohailcodeage

Post by sohailcodeage » May 1st, 2018, 9:42 am

Hi, I was trying to go for the hiking with my family (my family is equals to one my wife and one cutest son) but I did not saw any suitable option instead of choosing one of the best backpacking tents. Those tents were really amazing, my one of the friend also took one family backpacking tent and we went for the hiking together with our families.

Jailil

Post by Jailil » June 4th, 2018, 12:05 am

Like the Eureka Timberline Series of tents. The Eureka Timberline 4 tent (I'll call it the T4) and try and get the gear vestibule for it to store your packs and gear inside the vestibules. I think this system would be a good choice for you and your family.

And I have my question hope this works

I want to immerse myself in Muslim culture and spend the wonderful bright holiday of Ramadan with someone.

But I have no such relatives and I am not a Muslim myself.

Recently I found this service that allows you to spend Ramadan with any family - https://opendoorsramadan.com/

What do you think about it? Does anyone respect these traditions?
Last edited by Jailil on December 20th, 2020, 2:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kalarv

Post by Kalarv » June 22nd, 2018, 2:33 am

A lot depends on what you plan on doing. Backpacking? Camping at local/state parks with the car? If your backpacking, you can spend hundreds of dollars on a tent. Weight, size and tolerance of weather conditions becomes everything. I've never done it so I can't add much input there. I'd start with looking at REI for some ideas.
We have two kids (now 17 and 20) and until recently have always camped with them (on bikes). The first family tent was a Hilleberg Keron 4gt, and it was great. It lasted for 10 years (family tents often get a lot more UV exposure), and for the last two years we brought first one and then two small tents (the kids did not like sleeping in the same tent). After that, we replaced the Keron 4gt with a Nammatj 3gt. We felt the Nallo 3gt was too low. In fact, my wife regrets that we did not get a Keron 3GT because it has more inner space and more luggage space. She may be right: even if the kids sleep in their own tents, much of the joint luggage is still in the big tent. And you may have to eat together in the big tent. So my advice would be to get a spacious tent for the two of you, and think hard about the tent or tents for the kids. Will they want to sleep in the same tent, not only this year but also in a few years' time? Also, count on it that they will want to use their tent on trips with their friends where the tent may be abused. Cheap and sturdy is the way to go, even if it means a bit heavier. Weight is far less of an issue than it was a few years earlier. They can now ride their own bikes, and very soon they can even carry quite a bit of luggage. Allow for the possibility to invite one or two of their friends along - it will be one way to persuade them to come with you when they are a bit older.
I am all in favour of camping ultralight, but with kids it is very nice to have a bit of space, and at this age a few kg extra is no longer the same issue it was a few years ago. There are many other ways to save weight. So maybe if the kids do not yet mind sleeping in the same tent get a 2 person tent for them that is spacious enough to comfortably take all luggage for when they will camp without you. If they then want to sleep separately, you may get an additional solo tent like the Wildcountry Zephyrus You will always have at least one two person tent for their trips with friends, or if they want to take a friend on the family holiday.