Sleep System Question

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
yunckette

Sleep System Question

Post by yunckette » July 3rd, 2016, 6:16 am

Hi All! I am the other half of WanderingYuncks. I am looking for some backpacking sleep system advice. At home I tend sleep really warm and often wake up drenched in sweat. It's the same on the trail yet I'm not quite able to sleep without my bag. I have the REI Joule, 23 degree, 2lbs 4 oz, 700 fill duck down, water resistant. I am thinking about getting something different (possibly a quilt) and am wondering what temperature rating I might want to look at and/or any other advice anyone might have. I am worried about getting something too cold. If I do get something else I would like it to be lighter weight. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thank you,
Heather

Chazz

Re: Sleep System Question

Post by Chazz » July 3rd, 2016, 12:21 pm

It depends on when you do most of your hiking. In summer months, you can get away with a 30 degree quilt quite easily. Quilts are easier to vent then sleeping bags as you can leave the footbox completely open or even just use it as a blanket like at home. Down or synthetic quilts are available at one of my favorite cottage manufacturers (www.enlightenedequipment.com) and you can get something as light as 16.5 oz.

Costco also sometimes sells 4x6 down throw quilts for $20. They won't be as light or as warm but if the weather is expected to be good and not drop too low at night, then that might be a decent option.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/106873/

yunckette

Post by yunckette » July 3rd, 2016, 5:18 pm

Thanks Chazz! I had noticed the link for enlightenment in one of the other threads. I am giving them a serious thought. I'd say we are 3 season backpackers.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 5th, 2016, 7:42 am

These are the Costco quilts Chazz is talking about. Costco carries them for $19.99 when they have them so this higher price annoys me but is still a great deal. We have one and bring it on our backpacking trips for some additional warmth due to mating our sleeping bags and losing some warmth at our heads. You might want to call Costco and see if they can tell you if any of their local stores have any. Not sure how tall you are (I am 5'5" and I would have to snug down to be fully covered) but if you are handy with sewing, two of these would make a very nice sleep system for the summer, I'd think.

Barring that, the Enlightened Equipment quilts are very tantalizing to me. The slap of reality from my wallet prevents me from moving in that direction, though :D
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Schrauf

Post by Schrauf » July 26th, 2016, 2:57 pm

If money is of little object I'd go with the Zpacks 30-degree bag. 13-16 ounces depending on length. Even lighter if you'd stay warm enough with the 40-degree version. Pretty much the lightest out there for each level of warmth. Personally I run cold when at rest and like the 20-degree bag when the temp approaches freezing.

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » September 10th, 2016, 6:18 pm

I'm late to the party as usual. :)

I can't use a mummy bag, I need foot room. I either use a quilt of sorts or a semi-rectangular bag. Quilt ... Thermarest Alpine Down Blanket. 35 degree rating, 26 ounces. Bag - Western Mountaineering MityLite semi-rectangular bag. 40 degree rating, also 26 ounces. I use them in the Cascades in summer a lot, the bag more than the quilt because with the quilt I need a sheet (extra weight) between me and my pad. I've only been cold in either once. That was a windy night and I'd put a tarp over top as a wind break .. sealed the moisture in. Once I kicked it off, the wind dried me out and I slept warm the rest of the night.

I also have a 13 ounce, 50 degree bag .. Sea to Summit Traveler Tr I. I haven't tried it yet. I bought it to keep a layer of "nothing" between my skin and bug bivy so the Sky Lakes skeeters can't quite reach me.

Tom
- Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 10th, 2016, 6:56 pm

why do you need a sheet between you and mat?

I sleep directly on mat

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » September 10th, 2016, 8:21 pm

Condensation management. The part of me directly touching the pad gets wet, then gets very cold.
Last edited by Tom of the Woods on September 11th, 2016, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Tom

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 11th, 2016, 5:31 am

that's weird, doesn't happen with me

I wear long sleeved shirt and pants which maybe makes a difference. Also keeps body oils off the down quilt above me.

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » September 11th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Makes sense. I can't wear long pants when I sleep. Probably should stop there, TMI comes next. :)
- Tom