Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
alpinista55

Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid

Post by alpinista55 » July 1st, 2016, 9:39 am

Just received my new sil-nylon Duomid, replacing my Sea to Summit Nano flat tarp for an upcoming trip into the Gardiner Basin in SEKI this August. Here are photos of my first pitch, and the tarp I'm replacing (shot from the Evolution Loop, SEKI). Super fast pitch, under 2 minutes the first time I set it up.

DuoMid: 18 oz. without guys
Sea-to-Summit Nano tarp: 9 oz. without guys

So the Duomid is twice the weight, but much more protection from the elements, and it will sleep two, although Im using it as a solo tent.
IMG_6063_sm.jpg
First pitch of the MLD DuoMid
IMG_6062_sm.jpg
A palace for 1!
IMG_5274_sm.jpg
The DouMid is replacing my flat tarp.

Koda

Re: Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid

Post by Koda » July 1st, 2016, 10:27 am

excellent choice with the Duomid...
alpinista55 wrote:So the Duomid is twice the weight, but much more protection from the elements, and it will sleep two, although Im using it as a solo tent.
this is the same strategy I do. To me the extra pound is worth the extra space when solo. There are several options out there, I looked hard at the Duomid but I ended up purchasing the Six Moon Designs Haven tarp years ago and love it. 18oz.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2