Lightweight, durable umbrellas?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chase

Lightweight, durable umbrellas?

Post by Chase » June 10th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Probably been covered in a prior thread, but...

What are your experiences with light umbrellas? I have a heavy REI one that's held up under pressure and want to start looking into a lighter one that won't shit the bed in a wind storm.

-Q-

Re: Lightweight, durable umbrellas?

Post by -Q- » June 10th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Totes are generally pretty good. My main hiking umbrella lasted about 2-3 seasons before breaking down. Probably used it on at least 100 (minimum) hikes during that span. Also used it in heavy wet snow as well, which is tough on them.

GoLight made a hiking umbrella, though I seem to remember it being quite expensive.

Chase

Post by Chase » June 10th, 2016, 6:15 pm

-Q- wrote:Totes are generally pretty good. My main hiking umbrella lasted about 2-3 seasons before breaking down. Probably used it on at least 100 (minimum) hikes during that span. Also used it in heavy wet snow as well, which is tough on them.

GoLight made a hiking umbrella, though I seem to remember it being quite expensive.
Totes are lightweight?

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 10th, 2016, 9:18 pm

I guess what one considers lightweight is all relative. But...

Totes has tons of options. The mini umbrella that I keep as a spare in my pack on every hike is real small and feels pretty light to me. My full size main umbrella is obviously heavier.

Totes are good quality though, nice and durable. So even if they are a little heavier, it's well worth it for increased rain/wind protection.

Chase

Post by Chase » June 10th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Cool thanks!

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 13th, 2016, 6:56 pm

My husband bought a trekking umbrella for me last summer (without asking me first). :D

Very thoughtful of him but not a gadget I'm all that enamoured with. I don't think we ever got around to returning it. I could check with him and see. If I remember right it was one that was a similar weight and style to the former GoLite model, per his research. He swears by his; uses it for the sun mostly but we certainly encountered wind with it last year in the Sierras and it seemed to do fine.

If you're interested message me. I'll poke around in the storage room and see if we still have it somewhere. Even if we don't I can ask him where he found his!
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 14th, 2016, 3:28 am

The gold standard is the old Go Lite Chrome Dome (which I have). Of course they went out of business. They actually didn't make it themselves but imported it from a company in Europe and put their name on it. You can now get the exact same umbrella (less the GoLite logo) from GossamerGear.com (which has a ton of other great stuff too). They are very rugged and simple in design. They are silver on top to reflect the heat of the sum for hot days when exposed to the sun too. They also have a nice foam handle that has grooves in it so you can use a thin bungee cord to wrap around it and your pack strap to hold it hands-free on your pack.

I first owned a smaller/lighter one from Mont-Bell but it was way too complex and fragile and also a pain to use and put away in situations where the weather was on/off showers.

Almost all PCT thru-hikers who use an umbrella use the GoLite/GossamerGear one.

Mike (aka GoalTech)

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » June 14th, 2016, 11:09 am

FYI, I've been following the maker of GoLite products on his next adventure. He's started MyTrailCo. I just checked, and they are now offering an umbrella (THE umbrella)?
http://mytrailco.com/collections/access ... e-umbrella

That said, I'd trust/buy anything Gossamer Gear sells (per Goal Tech's post).
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 14th, 2016, 11:13 am

Yep, the same one. Although pricing is higher now at $49. It used to be you could get them in the GoLite stores for $25 (probably why they went bankrupt!)

I actually just bought their new pack this morning...the 50L that is based off their old Jam packs

Mike

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 14th, 2016, 8:25 pm

mjirving wrote:Yep, the same one. Although pricing is higher now at $49. It used to be you could get them in the GoLite stores for $25 (probably why they went bankrupt!)

I actually just bought their new pack this morning...the 50L that is based off their old Jam packs

Mike
That looks like a pretty small umbrella. Tough to stay dry in a hard rain with a mini like that. Especially tough keeping your pack dry.
Add in some wind and forget about it.

An extended full size umbrella while certainly heavier, keeps you and your pack much drier. To me, it's worth the extra weight.