Sports Authority going out of business sale

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chase

Sports Authority going out of business sale

Post by Chase » May 29th, 2016, 6:28 pm

There's a big sign in the window that says, "Everything now up to 30% off*"

* some exclusions apply

Well, it turns out that most gear is between 0 and 10% off. Much of the apparel is 30% off, however.

Aimless

Re: Sports Authority going out of business sale

Post by Aimless » May 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

Whenever I see "up to X% off" I mentally halve that number to see what kind of actual discounts to expect.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 30th, 2016, 4:28 pm

I remember when GI Joes was liquidated, the sales weren't so hot except for the very last items. Looks like this is no different.
http://time.com/money/4346272/sports-au ... ness-sale/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Trick

Post by Trick » May 30th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:I remember when GI Joes was liquidated, the sales weren't so hot except for the very last items. Looks like this is no different.
http://time.com/money/4346272/sports-au ... ness-sale/
These liquidation companies are a joke. I've hit several of these over the years and rarely walk out with anything. At Joes they jacked the prices and then percentage offed the merchandise for a net gain of +10% or something. I found it insulting.

Last one I crawled into was Blockbuster. Swear it was even worse then Joes. Enough for me!

Twistedlarch

Post by Twistedlarch » June 12th, 2016, 8:25 pm

I don't even waste my time with these types of sales. They mark the prices up to full retail or higher then discount it from there. If you take your smart phone in there and actually start pricing items you'll find out that their really not great deals. You might find a true good deal, but its rare.