First Aid Kit

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Kuhlmann

First Aid Kit

Post by Kuhlmann » April 18th, 2016, 7:48 am

Last evening my wife and I were discussing our options. She believes that as long as I have one, she doesn't need one. I believe we both need one with basics in it in case we somehow become separated.

Furthermore, what do you include in your kit? I generally keep mine smaller including only moleskin, kenetic tape, aspirin, athletic tape, Neosporin, several bandaids of different sizes and TP. We max our day hikes about 15 miles or so right now and always have food, water, electrolytes and a lighter. I also carry an extra shirt and pair of socks along with sunscreen and bug spray.

What do you utilize?

Chazz

Re: First Aid Kit

Post by Chazz » April 18th, 2016, 8:09 am

Two first aid kits seems silly. Unless you plan on separating, then one kit should be fine.

The link below has a good list of components to a lightweight kit that you can assemble at home with a combination of dollar store and grocery store pharmacy:

http://sectionhiker.com/diy-first-aid-kit/

My kit supplied two people for five days this summer and the only thing we really needed was aspirin and leukotape.

Leukotape is the only thing that you might have to special order from Amazon but it is worth it. Much better than moleskin or any other blister-related tape. I take strips of it off the roll and apply it to parchment paper (both sides) and then cut into 3 inch segments.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 18th, 2016, 8:32 am

Personally I would be of the mindset that *everyone* should have a responsibility to have their own first aid kit. *everyone* should be able to function individually in the wilderness. Larger non-essential comfort packages can be split between hikers, but a FA kit should be among the "10 essentials". You don't split the essentials between the group, each person should have their own. If you commonly tape before hiking, than the FA kit supplies need to be *seperate* from the others. You shouldn't be dipping into FA supplies unless it's actually an emergency and you're in need.

Unfortunately most store bought First Aid kits are a joke for any serious medical issues. You seem to be ahead of the curve with some extras you threw in there though. Quality athletic tape is a wonder-tool that is ridiculously multi-functional. But remember, to properly tape an ankle or other joint you're going to consume nearly an entire roll. I would suggest some pre-wrap. Some sort of compression bandage, some sterile dressing, and at least one cravat (Aka triangular bandage, or a large bandana). Any medication you may have or need (including things that must be taken every day or so, even if you only plan on being out a few hours). Epi pen if you're allergic to bee's (keep that readily available and visible from the outside of your pack so complete stranger could help you administer it if you need). Multiple pairs of gloves. Some form of water steralization/filtration, some basic meds like ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen, benadryl, etc. If you have perscriptions, they need to be in proper containers. If you're breaking down OTC stuff make sure you label it, and replace it every so often.

Be careful storing fire starting materials with your medical supplies, some of those may not mix well, and I wouldn't want to be downing meds that have had a lighters worth of butane saturated into it. If you want to be an overachiever, keep a list of your medications, dosages, schedule, previous medical conditions, allergies, and emergency contact info tucked in there too, so if things *really* go south, that can travel with you to the hospital

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2016, 10:33 am

Agree each person needs their own kit, consider the odds of separating increase greatly if any kit is needed especially the tape.

Athletic tape, duct tape, ibuprofen, gauze wrap, and a bandaid or two. I like the idea of adding a small tube of neosporin. Carried a REI face shield for years but cant find it right now and keep forgetting to buy a new one.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 18th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Re: face shield.

iirc, the latest recommendation from Red Cross is to dispense with trying to apply breaths to inflate the lungs of the person being resuscitated and stick to chest compressions only. The presumption is that unless a defibrillator can be applied within ten or fifteen minutes (either EMTs arrive or an onsite unit is available) then even doing CPR in relays is not going to keep the brain oxygenated.

In a wilderness situation, this means if you go into sudden cardiac arrest your chances of survival are pretty much nil. My instructor made it plain to us that we ought not worry about crushing ribs while doing chest compressions because, as he put it "you're working on someone who's already dead".

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Maybe I dont need the face shield anymore? Are there any situations where CPR is still needed?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 18th, 2016, 6:51 pm

If you are in a situation where 911 is possible and you are just buying some extra time for the victim, then CPR is definitely indicated. If you're far up a trail and medical help is distant, then a stopped heart or a wildly fibrillating heart that can't beat normally is going to kill the victim. You could do chest compressions if you wanted to feel like you tried everything, which is not an inconsiderable factor in my opinion, but in terms of survival it would be pro forma. You exhaust yourself long before help arrived.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2016, 7:21 pm

I guess I don’t need to worry about adding a face shield to a first aid kit. Not that I don’t want to do everything I could but in such an event its actually better to only do chest compressions, if I understand it correctly ...even if 911 is available.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » April 18th, 2016, 8:25 pm

I think the recommendation was based on the idea that enough latent oxygen would be available in the bloodstream to cover the number of minutes required before EMTs arrived, even without 'breathing for' the person being given CPR, plus the fact that it is much simpler to just do compressions without having to count compressions, then count breaths, and try to remember when to alternate them. Less confusion or hesitation over whether you are doing it right.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 18th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Aimless wrote:I think the recommendation was based on the idea that enough latent oxygen would be available in the bloodstream to cover the number of minutes required before EMTs arrived, even without 'breathing for' the person being given CPR, plus the fact that it is much simpler to just do compressions without having to count compressions, then count breaths, and try to remember when to alternate them. Less confusion or hesitation over whether you are doing it right.
this was my understanding too but what was never clear to me is if everyone, not just those untrained in CPR, should abandon the artificial respiration for the victim and just do chest compressions or if there were times when CPR was still preferred? Last time I took a first aid class they were still teaching CPR...