Down Jacket Options

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
tambli22

Down Jacket Options

Post by tambli22 » April 14th, 2016, 11:52 am

Hello,

I am a native Oregonian who has spent a great deal of time on this forum over the years but who has recently moved to Montana for a position with the USFS. Due to my new location and the climate that comes with it, I am on the lookout for a WARM down jacket. I'm all set with my hiking/backpacking/skiing setup, so this would just be for walking around town, walking the dog, and other casual use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by tambli22 on April 14th, 2016, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Re: Down Jacket Options

Post by kepPNW » April 14th, 2016, 12:07 pm

tambli22 wrote:...on the lookout for a WARM down jacket. ... would just be for walking around town, walking the dog, and other casual use. ... leaning towards the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whiperer.
Seems like a really nice jacket! I was even looking at them in the employee store, but decided against it. Mainly because I found their Thermal.Q to be about the same warmth, a couple ounces heavier, more water resistant, and a bit less prone to accidental damage. Not to mention about half the price. I think the big killer for me, was what seemed to be very fragile fabric. Wearing it on a bushwhack could be a disaster. It's also semi-translucent, so you see the down right through it. The synthetic's water resistance sold it to me, given the climate here. That all said, I also bought another ultralight dri-down jacket from Kohl's, of all places, and really like it for around town. It was only about $40 on (deep!) sale, and is warmer than either Mountain Hardware offering. I guess that's all a long way of saying, I'd skip the Ghost Whisperer unless you either have money to spare or planned to use it on the trail. For around town, there are far more economical offerings.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

turtle

Post by turtle » April 14th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Take a look at Campmor.com or Cabela's. Since weight isn't an issue I think you might find something for your needs at a reasonable price.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » May 15th, 2016, 12:57 am

Why not ask the locals what works best there? I think you will want a down parka rather than a thin and much less warm sport mid-layer like the Ghost Whisperer. I don't know if this brand is still good (it's been 20 years) but look at Triple FAT Goose for examples.
hesselberg-grey1.jpg