Neoprene Socks/Dry Pants

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
dfs1109

Neoprene Socks/Dry Pants

Post by dfs1109 » March 22nd, 2016, 10:15 am

I'm planning a trip to Zion and hiking the Narrows in May and instead of renting socks/dry pants I'm thinking of purchasing so I have them for future use. I don't have any experience with dry/wet suits, dry pants/tops or neoprene socks. Can anyone recommend a certain brand and/or product?

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

VanMarmot

Re: Neoprene Socks/Dry Pants

Post by VanMarmot » March 23rd, 2016, 8:01 am

dfs1109 wrote:I'm planning a trip to Zion and hiking the Narrows in May and instead of renting socks/dry pants I'm thinking of purchasing so I have them for future use. I don't have any experience with dry/wet suits, dry pants/tops or neoprene socks. Can anyone recommend a certain brand and/or product?

Daniel
By late May, the air temp can reach 100F, so I'm not sure you'll need a suit - which isn't much fun to hike in anyway. Are you just hiking up from the tourist trail to the Narrows or planning to do the long dayhike/overnight backpack from Chamberlain's Ranch? If all you're doing is hiking up to the Narrows, just wear your light hiking shoes with Hanz neoprene socks. The water will be cold but the hike isn't that long and the NPS won't let you do it if the river is running too fast. For the backpack (which we did years ago), I'd wear my regular hiking boots with neoprene socks. You can do the backpack/daylike in light hikers, but the rounded rocks on the river bottom can badly bruise your feet (as one of us found out when we did the backpack).

dfs1109

Re: Neoprene Socks/Dry Pants

Post by dfs1109 » March 23rd, 2016, 8:48 am

Thanks for the info Van.

Maybe I will just wait a little while longer to see how the weather is shaping up.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan