Backpack that can go from urban to outdoors

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
gmgbfisher

Backpack that can go from urban to outdoors

Post by gmgbfisher » March 12th, 2016, 11:55 am

Anyone had success with a backpack that is small enough to travel around Portland on the bus but is comfortable go on a day hike with some gear in it?

jdemott

Re: Backpack that can go from urban to outdoors

Post by jdemott » March 12th, 2016, 3:01 pm

There are a bunch of daypacks at REI that fit this description. I have the REI Full Lode daypack that I bought mainly for air travel (fits easily under seat), with the idea that I would have a daypack for hiking at my destination. Around town or on the plane, you can carry a tablet or laptop, etc. On the trail I find it easily carries enough for a typical day hike--raingear, lunch, ten essentials etc. It has two mesh pockets for water bottles and you can put a hydration bladder in the laptop compartment if you want. External pocket for wet gear. Seems well made. Water resistant but not waterproof.

Its probably best to go to REI and check out the selection since everybody has their own personal preferences for packs. My wife has a pack from North Face that is primarily designed as a trail pack ( a little bigger than the typical around-town pack) but she finds it works well for air travel and in-town use also.

Peder

Post by Peder » March 12th, 2016, 3:59 pm

I would say pretty much ANY backpack is good enough to use for a hike. Most will fit a fleece, map, water bottle and a sandwich. Just to illustrate that there is no need to be overly well equipped, I used my computer backpack for this hike. That said, a Barbie backpack would have been too small for that outing, but it would work just fine for me on a Rock of Ages loop in summer!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » March 14th, 2016, 8:52 am

The REI Flash works great and can also be an UL backpacking option. It's also on sale right now :D
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown