Winter/Rain Gators

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
dfs1109

Winter/Rain Gators

Post by dfs1109 » February 15th, 2016, 11:48 pm

Currently have Mountain Hardware gators and they work well. However, my only complaint is that they form condensation on the inside and my pant legs end up pretty wet defeating the purpose of the gators. Any recommendations on a pair of new gators or on fixing the current issue?

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

retired jerry

Re: Winter/Rain Gators

Post by retired jerry » February 16th, 2016, 7:42 am

I've heard people like Dirty Girl gaiters - short and lightweight - that would have less condensation

I make my own and use them year-round. 1.1 oz/yd2 breathable nylon. I think since the fabric goes vertical, you don't need more waterproof than that. And then you don't get condensation. But I don't know of any you can buy.

The gaiters I've seen in store are heavy, like GoreTex, which is totally over-kill

Chazz

Post by Chazz » February 16th, 2016, 7:58 am

I use Dirty Girl gaiters during the summer to keep rocks and dirt out of my trail runners. They are great at that but not if you are trying to keep snow or heavy mud out of your shoes. They are not mechanically fixed around your shoe by anything greater than velcro on the heel and post-holing would peel it back around your ankle.

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 16th, 2016, 8:30 am

I have the Mtn Hardwear gaitors too, but I don't have that condensation issue. I do have problems keeping them from sliding down my leg, however. I can't seem to get them tight enough, and my long legs (I'm tall) keep them from reaching the top of my calves where they would cinch around the muscle.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Lurch

Post by Lurch » February 16th, 2016, 9:40 am

What sort of Gaiter you need is really dependent on what activity you're involved in. If you're dealing with rough conditions and underbrush (because you're off trail) I would most definitely go with a heavier gaiter to provide the protection and coverage you'd need. If you're having serious condensation problems, I'd say go with one without the goretex, and/or re-evaluate what you're wearing under the gaiters to help mitigate that issue

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 16th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Lurch wrote:What sort of Gaiter you need is really dependent on what activity you're involved in.

Ditto. Not sure what you're using gaiters for, but generally you can think about the difference between "real" gaiters and just "trail" gaiters (to keep out rocks, dirt, pine needles, etc.). As others have noted, Dirty Girls are perfect for this. If you're bushwhacking, you'll want full gaiters, but if conditions are dry, maybe find some uncoated/non-waterproof ones for more breathability. For bushwhacking in wet conditions, or in snow, you'll want full GTX gaiters.

Realistically, if you're using waterpoof gaiters in wet conditions, your legs will always get wet unless you wear some sort of water resistant pant under the gaiter. My lower legs/ankles are always sweaty at the bottom of Mt. Hood or on a wet bushwhack day. Nothing you can really do about that, but it's better than getting your legs soaked. ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

turtle

Post by turtle » February 16th, 2016, 4:17 pm

These might do the trick. I've worn them a couple of times; lightweight, waterproof, seem to breathe pretty well, reasonable price.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Lurch

Post by Lurch » February 17th, 2016, 8:01 am

Bosterson wrote:Realistically, if you're using waterpoof gaiters in wet conditions, your legs will always get wet unless you wear some sort of water resistant pant under the gaiter. My lower legs/ankles are always sweaty at the bottom of Mt. Hood or on a wet bushwhack day. Nothing you can really do about that, but it's better than getting your legs soaked. ;)
Agreed, the moisture (sweat) from your feet/legs will always be there, it's a question of whether or not it can escape through the gaiter, or be wicked away fast enough by your socks/pants. Which is infinitely better than getting your legs soaked, and having outside moisture and debris wicking into your boots

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 17th, 2016, 8:26 am

with thin breathable nylon gaiters and merino wool socks, the gaiters will get wet, but the water runs down the fabric and down to the ground. The socks don't get wet. Inside the boots does not get wet. In my experience.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 19th, 2016, 11:45 am

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I have Oregon Research light weight summer gators that work really well for keeping debris out. For winter the Mountain Hardware gators have worked well in snow/rainy/wet brush conditions and durability has been good as well. The condensation is my only complaint and sounds like their isn't much I can do about it. I wear light weight water resistant/breathable pants underneath my gators and they do dry up fast after removing the gators.

I think I will try to rig something to keep a piece of the Velcro fastening system open to help with breathability. Thanks again for the information and recommendations.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan