Winter/Rain Gators

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
retired jerry

Re: Winter/Rain Gators

Post by retired jerry » February 19th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Have you tried wearing your Oregon Research light weight summer gaters in rainy wintery conditions?

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 20th, 2016, 2:00 am

retired jerry wrote:Have you tried wearing your Oregon Research light weight summer gaters in rainy wintery conditions?
No, they aren't waterproof. They do a great job of keeping out the dirt and rocks but I wouldn't expect them to do well in wet or wintery conditions.
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 20th, 2016, 7:51 am

you may be surprised how well they work even though they're not waterproof.

water tends to run down and out

your merino socks don't absorb the water

at least that's my experience

my gaiters get soaked but somehow my socks and inside my boots is fairly dry

uh oh, dangerously close to reverting to Hiaku format :)

SWriverstone

Post by SWriverstone » March 11th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I have a literally 20-year-old pair of L.L. Bean gaiters that I've used and loved for all that time—and they've held up great! They're made of what appears to be coated nylon pack cloth, with front zippers covered by a button-flap. I've never noticed condensation being an issue (though with coated nylon you'd think it would be)...but I think that may be because I've generally never worn them in the summer.

I just abuse my legs, LOL. Or if it's serious bushwhacking, I'll strap on a pair of motorcross knee/shin guards—then you're pretty much indestructible and can bash through the nastiest thorns on the planet. :-)

Scott

PS - It is a pain though when any gaiter doesn't stay over your low hiking shoes. I've contemplated a few times stitching or gluing some velcro (the soft part) around the opening of my hiking shoes, so I could just seal the entire circumference of the bottom of the gaiter to the shoe...

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » March 13th, 2016, 6:18 pm

SWriverstone wrote:I have a literally 20-year-old pair of L.L. Bean gaiters

Main that's a good pair of gators!
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan