Cheap butane canisters from Fred Meyer

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
retired jerry

Cheap butane canisters from Fred Meyer

Post by retired jerry » February 3rd, 2016, 12:56 pm

Fred Meyer sells these cheap butane canisters. $3.99 for 8 ounces. Name brand canisters are at least $1 more expensive.

They used to sell Max Burton brand in a black can, but now they sell Max brand in a yellow/orange can. Different manufacturer but both from Korea. Actually, most brands are made in Korea now.

I've used many of the Max Burton canisters with no problem. I've now used one of the Max canisters and it seemed the same.

The brand name canisters specify that they contain a mix of Propane and Isobutane, typically 25%/75%. This allows them to operate at colder temperatures. When the canister is full, a normal upright stove will work down to 25 F or even 20 F. When it's maybe 1/4 full, it'll work down to maybe 29 F. It starts getting really slow and takes twice as long.

N-butane is another form of butane, but it would only operate down to about 45 F, which isn't real usable for backpacking around here. Actually, all butane canisters contain a mix of all three plus other chemicals. For backpacking you want a mixture that minimizes N-butane and other higher boiling point chemicals.

Both Max Burton and Max brands don't specify what they have, just "Butane Fuel". I've used Max Burton down to 29 F many times, similar in performance to the expensive canisters.

I have just used one Max canister. I did 6 nights when it was 30 F to 40 F. I just tried it on my patio when it was 32 F and used up the rest. It got pretty slow. It's possible a name brand canister would work the same at 2 degree F colder, but name brand canisters also get very slow at the end so maybe it's about the same.

I was hoping it would be a little colder but that doesn't seem to be for this winter.

Anyway, if you're a cheapskate like me, the Max canisters are pretty much just as good for at least $1 less.

Koda

Re: Cheap butane canisters from Fred Meyer

Post by Koda » February 3rd, 2016, 1:21 pm

retired jerry wrote:Fred Meyer sells these cheap butane canisters. $3.99 for 8 ounces. Name brand canisters are at least $1 more expensive.
what, Freddys doesn’t sell Jetboil canisters anymore? I used to buy them there for the same price or a dollar less than REI…
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 3rd, 2016, 2:12 pm

I think they sell Jetboil too. $4.99 or even more?

Koda

Post by Koda » February 3rd, 2016, 2:48 pm

retired jerry wrote:I think they sell Jetboil too. $4.99 or even more?
good to know. I just recall that Freddys sold Jetboil about a dollar cheaper than REI and other outdoors stores.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

-Q-

Post by -Q- » February 3rd, 2016, 5:12 pm

I have used the max Burton Iso fuel many times. They work great. Cheaper too like you said.

forester

Post by forester » February 11th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Jerry, you broke your usual customized Haiku format with that post!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 11th, 2016, 5:34 pm

I'll have to reformulate that for haiku format :)

matimeo

Post by matimeo » February 12th, 2016, 5:41 am

Jerry, thanks for posting this. I actually bought a couple of those canisters at Fred Meyer a few months back and had a bunch of questions about them and you just answered all of them! It was like you were reading my mind.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 12th, 2016, 8:58 am

hello fellow cheapskate :)