Durability of MSR Lightning snowshoes?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Bosterson

Durability of MSR Lightning snowshoes?

Post by Bosterson » January 11th, 2016, 12:55 pm

I have a pair of Lightning Axis that I bought before we stopped having real winters here and have just started using now that there's actually snow. However, after only a couple of trips, I'm noting serious dulling of the toe crampon teeth, wear of the "chrome" plating on the crampon teeth that's resulting in some surface rust, and light fraying of the edges of the rubbery web between the binding and the frame.

Anyone have longer term experience with Lightnings? How do they hold up?

As a side note specific to the Axis binding, I discovered that on harder snow the pin that keeps the binding fixed can get knocked loose enough to allow the binding to rotate side to side (which you're supposed to be able to do as an adjustment, but then lock in place). This has resulted in one snowshoe starting to angle a bit sideways as the day goes on. Seems like a design flaw that the pin is exposed.... Anyone else notice this?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Limey

Re: Durability of MSR Lightning snowshoes?

Post by Limey » January 13th, 2016, 2:08 pm

I can't answer your question but I'm replying because my Lightning Ascents just arrived today and I'm very excited. I have lots of snow in my yard so I can learn how to use them. As for durability, haven't a clue. I got these because of good reviews and I didn't want to go cheap and then have to buy again due to dissatisfaction. I'm not worried about wasting money because I redeemed our credit card rewards points and ended up being able to get mine and my hubby's both for $50.00. See why I'm so excited? Now all I have to do is get in shape enough to get out there.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 14th, 2016, 8:44 am

I've used different types of snowshoes (e.g., Tubbs, Atlas) in the past but 3-4 years ago I sprang for a pair of MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes. They've held up really well - some scuffing and scratching but no actual damage. And this after using them in XC situations with mixed snow, rock, and trees. Last year was not a good year for snow but I managed to use them to climb McLoughlin, mostly on snow. No problems.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » January 14th, 2016, 12:20 pm

Also bought MSR Ascents this year and have used them 3 times for a total of 25-30 miles and haven't noticed any ware tear yet. Like previously mentioned, some scuffing of on the black frame but so far that is all.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 15th, 2016, 2:20 pm

I've had Lightning Ascents for 4 seasons. I've used them every year, though only twice last year. I think they have held up well to the hundreds of miles I've put on them. I think they have a bombproof warranty, so that's good. The style I have has 4 rubber straps that go around your boot. One has broken, though only the excess portion beyond the buckle, so it is still 100% usable. I have bent a tooth on the crampon (easy fix), and there is a spot of decking that has frayed from rubbing on one of the clasps (doesn't affect functionality). Otherwise, I can't seem to find a way to damage these things.

Here's a look at mine:

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 30th, 2016, 4:36 pm

Bosterson wrote:I have a pair of Lightning Axis that I bought before we stopped having real winters here and have just started using now that there's actually snow. However, after only a couple of trips, I'm noting serious dulling of the toe crampon teeth, wear of the "chrome" plating on the crampon teeth that's resulting in some surface rust, and light fraying of the edges of the rubbery web between the binding and the frame.

Anyone have longer term experience with Lightnings? How do they hold up?
I guess I've had mine (also Lightning Axis) about three years now (four "winters," really), and so far they're doing pretty good. Only issue is the heel reinforcements on the deck, which are starting to separate off...
20160130_164511.jpg
None of the other issues you mention. (That all said, I'm sure I've carried them more miles than worn them.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...