Heavy-duty down jackets?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
greglief

Heavy-duty down jackets?

Post by greglief » January 5th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Perhaps the subject is an oxymoron, but anyway...

Last winter we were fortunate enough to visit the Columbia Employee Store. The markdowns brought the Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Jacket into my price range, so I was able to afford one. I have used it many times since then, and it has kept me warm and toasty in very cold conditions.

However, I have discovered that it is vulnerable to small rips/punctures, which cause down leakage. (This is not intended as a criticism of the Nitrous... I expect that it would be the same for any down jacket.) Thus I am considering a more durable outer shell for winter hiking/snowshoeing. But I do not have any experience in this area. Mountain Hardwear's Torsun and Dragon's Back jackets look interesting, as do many of North Face's Triclimate jackets.

If any readers have firsthand experience with these (or similar) outer jackets, please share your experiences/recommendations/caveats.
Last edited by greglief on January 5th, 2016, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

jessbee

Re: Heavy-duty down jackets?

Post by jessbee » January 5th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Something else to consider: just wear any shell jacket over your down jacket. I have my Patagonia rain shell sized just big enough to fit over my down jacket if I want to protect it from being ripped. It also adds another layer of insulation and weather protection +since you want to keep down dry anyways).

It's cheaper and more versatile than buying a jacket that is a shell and insulating layer together.

Just my two cents.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 5th, 2016, 1:31 pm

That's going to depend a lot on how streamline you want to go, and how much you're willing to drop on it..

Honestly, if you want something cheap, for a durable waterproof shell I'd look at getting a Mil Surplus goretex parka shell. You can either get the mil quilted liners and be toasty warm, or get it a little oversized and choose your own layers underneath. I have a couple of them, and if I know I'm going to be out in serious cold for a long time a couple base/mid layers, down puffy, and the parka shell and you're good to go. They're durable enough that I've plowed through blackberries, and devils club that would seriously compromise other gear.

That is, if you can stand the military surplus look..

greglief

Post by greglief » January 5th, 2016, 1:38 pm

jessbee wrote:Something else to consider: just wear any shell jacket over your down jacket. I have my Patagonia rain shell sized just big enough to fit over my down jacket if I want to protect it from being ripped. It also adds another layer of insulation and weather protection +since you want to keep down dry anyways). It's cheaper and more versatile than buying a jacket that is a shell and insulating layer together.
Thanks! That is a good idea. I have a rain shell that could serve this purpose. It's not very breathable, but one cannot have everything. ;)

Greg

greglief

Post by greglief » January 5th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Lurch wrote:That's going to depend a lot on how streamline you want to go, and how much you're willing to drop on it..

Honestly, if you want something cheap, for a durable waterproof shell I'd look at getting a Mil Surplus goretex parka shell. You can either get the mil quilted liners and be toasty warm, or get it a little oversized and choose your own layers underneath. I have a couple of them, and if I know I'm going to be out in serious cold for a long time a couple base/mid layers, down puffy, and the parka shell and you're good to go. They're durable enough that I've plowed through blackberries, and devils club that would seriously compromise other gear.

That is, if you can stand the military surplus look..
Thanks for the suggestion! I have not tried the military surplus look :P but I'm not completely averse to it. It sounds like durability is not an issue, and that is more important than the fashion aspect.

Greg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 7th, 2016, 3:06 pm

yeah, I think of down as mid layer. You need jacket on the outside.

A lot of times, just the jacket is all you need. Like when I'm walking and it's over 25 F or so.

Down is for when I stop and need extra warmth.

turtle

Post by turtle » January 7th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Try Cabela's, they might have something for you.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » January 8th, 2016, 8:08 pm

I've had one of the midrange Northface triclimate jackets for a few years now. It's done really well. I hike in a lot of brush and it doesn't have any rips yet. The down is very warm. I use the shell all winter but I rarely need to put on the puffy down jacket. It has nice vents, and it's as "waterproof" as any non plastic jacket can be :) I'd definitely recommend it.

greglief

Post by greglief » January 9th, 2016, 11:54 am

greenjello85 wrote:I've had one of the midrange Northface triclimate jackets for a few years now. It's done really well. I hike in a lot of brush and it doesn't have any rips yet. The down is very warm. I use the shell all winter but I rarely need to put on the puffy down jacket. It has nice vents, and it's as "waterproof" as any non plastic jacket can be :) I'd definitely recommend it.
Thank you very much for the firsthand report!

Greg

greglief

Post by greglief » January 9th, 2016, 11:56 am

turtle wrote:Try Cabela's, they might have something for you.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have never been inside a Cabela's, though I am certainly aware of them. I shall consider this.

Greg