Heavy-duty down jackets?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
greglief

Re: Heavy-duty down jackets?

Post by greglief » January 9th, 2016, 12:01 pm

retired jerry wrote:yeah, I think of down as mid layer. You need jacket on the outside. A lot of times, just the jacket is all you need. Like when I'm walking and it's over 25 F or so. Down is for when I stop and need extra warmth.
Thanks for the clarification, Jerry. That is what I was trying to say in my first message (down/puffy = "mid-layer"), but the terminology had escaped me. :)

Greg

Peabody

Post by Peabody » January 9th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I have always considered myself someone that thinks 1st - practicality and function, 2nd price and 3rd fashion. But having looked at military surplus type items before has made me realize that the order I actual use for a purchase is 1st-fashion, 2nd-price, 3rd-practicality and function.

German Police GORE-TEX Winter Parka with Liner, Waterproof Link
Last edited by Peabody on January 10th, 2016, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

greglief

Post by greglief » January 9th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Peabody wrote:I have always considered myself someone that thinks 1st - practicality and function, 2nd price and 3rd fashion. But having looked at military surplus type items before has made me realize that the order I actual use for a purchase is 1st-fashion, 2nd-price, 3rd-practicality and function.
I hear you loud and clear. I never considered myself as a hiking fashionista or anything approaching it, but I suspect that appearance plays more of a factor than I care to admit. :(

The USMC Military PrimaLoft Jacket looks good especially considering the price (app $100), but I wish that it were waterproof rather than water-resistant.

Greg

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 9th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Peabody, I went looking for the coat in your photo and it is actually "German Police GORE-TEX Winter Parka with Liner, Waterproof, Olive Drab." I'd snatch it up this minute, since it looks to be exactly the kind of functional parka I would love to own, except it has "POLIZEI" printed on the back in large block letters -- and that gives me pause.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » January 9th, 2016, 10:21 pm

greglief wrote: The USMC Military PrimaLoft Jacket looks good especially considering the price (app $100), but I wish that it were waterproof rather than water-resistant.
A Primaloft jacket doesn't need to be waterproof because, unlike down, it will still insulate when wet. Judging by the photo, key concerns for the USMC jacket would be weight and packability. A waterproof layer would certainly add cost as well as stiffness and weight.

If price is the issue, if refined scouring places like Sierra Trading Post, Steep and Cheap, etc. "Burly" isn't quite the quality you want in a midlayer insulated piece. If you're worried about snagging it, as others have said, put a shell over it.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 10th, 2016, 7:11 am

synthetic jackets aren't nearly as warm when wet, better than down though

good to have waterproof breathable layer on the outside, even though that's not perfectly effective

if you're exercising and it's in the high 20s F or above, you don't really need the insulation, just a waterproof breathable jacket is sufficient

Peabody

Post by Peabody » January 10th, 2016, 7:39 am

Aimless wrote:Peabody, I went looking for the coat in your photo and it is actually "German Police GORE-TEX Winter Parka with Liner, Waterproof, Olive Drab." I'd snatch it up this minute, since it looks to be exactly the kind of functional parka I would love to own, except it has "POLIZEI" printed on the back in large block letters -- and that gives me pause.
Your're right. I have no idea where I saw the USMC description for that jacket. Here's the Link to the full ad.

You could always use a permanent marker and write "Grammatik" above "Polizei" :lol:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 10th, 2016, 10:29 am

Oddly, I'd be much more inclined to buy it if it said "gendarme" or "garda". There's something about the world "polizei" that sets me twitching.

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » January 10th, 2016, 4:30 pm

I have to agree with others. Most times the down is better as an inner layer. Those expensive down coats that get snagged are better used in the city. I carry multi layers. Synthetic "long johns" for next to skin if it gets cold and I'm just sitting around or sleeping if very cold. Clothing layer over that of whatever is your preference. I have a down vest that is like "Linus' blanket". It goes everywhere with me when out hiking, day hikes or backpacking. It actually does have a tough outer layer like old (60/40? not sure) I can wear it as outer layer without damaging it. However, most frequently, I put the Gore-Tex jacket over the vest. Obviously in varying mixes dependent on activity. Most times hiking, the vest of down is over kill as many times even the jacket is and I tend to strip down as not to over heat. When I stop, I start adding layers.