Insulation ideas for winter tent camping on snow?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Guy

Insulation ideas for winter tent camping on snow?

Post by Guy » January 4th, 2016, 7:42 pm

So buoyed by Kevin & Ann's most recent winter snow camping report Chiyoko & are a mad enough to want to give this a go.

I'm looking for ideas or recommendations for cheap but effective ways to get enough insulation to get through the night without dropping a lot of money on very expensive sleeping pads that we will only use a few times a year. I think we can sacrifice weight here for cost it's the R value that we need. It seems with a cursory look online that a total R value of around 5 is good for such camping.

All ideas & thoughts welcome.
Thanks.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Koda

Re: Insulation ideas for winter tent camping on snow?

Post by Koda » January 4th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I don’t know how to calculate R value because I've always used a simple summer thermarest and a zero degree bag and been toasty warm. When my old thermarest wore out I just simply got another one. I’m not an avid snowcamper, but due to my love for skiing backcountry powder away from the masses I've done my fair share...

I think if you wanted to go on the cheap a simple rollup closed cell foam foam pad would work, especially if you put something else on it to help build a layer of air... jacket, extra clothes, blanket...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

raven

Post by raven » January 4th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Snow is warmer than rock -- snow insulates and after the surface is warmed up to freezing it never gets any colder. Two 3/8" closed cell foam pads seem to work on snow at any temperature -- little melting. Off snow, temperature makes a difference.

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » January 5th, 2016, 6:16 am

It's been a few years since I've snow camped. I use to bring two (five if the boys were with me since we would use a bigger tent) closed cell pads and lay them on the bottom of the tent with my SynMat UL7 on top of that. Since then I've been told that putting the closed cell on top of the air pad would help retain more heat than putting the closed cell below the air pad. In other words, do what rainrunner did.
I'm hoping that I can explain this correctly. Closed cell foam will retain body heat better than an air pad that has it's edges exposed to the cold air. So having the closed cell closer to your body will keep you warmer. The air pad is used for insulation from the cold snow and a little added comfort. I hope I worded that in a way that makes sense. If not maybe someone else will word it differently.
I will still take two (four if my boys are with me) closed cell foam pads in the future. The extra pad isn't used for sleeping purposes. It's to put over the exposed bottom of the tent so that my feet don't have to touch the thin tent material between my feet and the snow.
I also bring along a heavy synthetic base layer and wool socks that are only used for sleeping.

ETA: If you have a two way zipper on your bag, don't forget to make sure that the foot end is zipped up before going to sleep. Brrrr, cold feet in the morning. My son learned that the hard way.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 5th, 2016, 3:48 pm

yeah, I've done a closed cell pad under my regular pad. Thermarest Ridgerest and Prolite.

Knowledgeable people claim it's warmer to have the closed cell pad on top, but I do the opposite

Just your summer pad will probably be too cold, although it depends on the rest of your insulation and how cold it is

Guy

Post by Guy » January 5th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Thanks for all your help and info everyone!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » January 5th, 2016, 9:12 pm

1) Stamp the snow as compact as you can on the spot where you wish set up your tent (otherwise you will be sleeping in troughs).
2) Just use a normal foam mat.
3) Add further insulation by placing spare clothing on foam mat.
4) Sleep
5) Not sleeping yet? Break out your emergency supply of Welsh single malt!

Have lots of fun!

PS: Depending on the temperatures, stove and boots are best stored inside the sleeping bag.
Last edited by Peder on January 6th, 2016, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » January 5th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Peder wrote:1) Stamp the snow as compact as you can on the spot where you wish set up your tent (otherwise you will be sleeping the troughs).
2) Sleep
3)Not sleeping yet? Break out your emergency supply of Welsh single malt!

Have lots of fun!

PS: Depending on the temperatures, stove and boots are best stored inside the sleeping bag.
I agree! ;) :lol:

viking

Post by viking » January 6th, 2016, 10:45 pm

More comfortable and ever warmer. Leave the tent at home and dig a snow cave!

Guy

Post by Guy » January 8th, 2016, 5:56 am

viking wrote:More comfortable and ever warmer. Leave the tent at home and dig a snow cave!
Yeah, about 15 years ago I went on a snow building cave course for the weekend. It was a lot of fun & we were warm at night & back then all I had virtually no gear.

I'd like to do this again too but it did take a fair bit of set up time, that a tent would not.
15 Cave Men.jpg
13 The Yellow Jackets.jpg
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors