Best Microspikes?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
greenjello85

Re: Best Microspikes?

Post by greenjello85 » January 2nd, 2016, 6:04 pm

Oh that makes more sense. I envisioned deck screws pointy side down but it's the heads that provide the traction :lol:

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » January 3rd, 2016, 7:34 am

It's not allowing me to post pics. Sorry.

More screws = better traction on snow & ice, but less traction on rocks. If you know there's lots of ice on the trail, place more screws in the soles.

Best to sipe the soles to increase grip on hard surfaces. I've customized mine for a wide range of winter trail conditions here.

Screws can be removed, but I prefer to keep a dedicated pair of traction boots for snow & ice in winter. These waterproof soft sole boots were $30 at Walmart and they've lasted 8+ years. Unfortunately, Walmart no longer carries these boots and the ones they have now don't last nearly as long.

It's a mystery to me why the manufacturers of boots have not explored this concept, unless there is no profit ($$$) since people can do this very easily and cheaply. A reminder that we are part of a system that rewards those who entrap people for their own gain, rather than making this a better world for everyone.
Last edited by windmtnpete on January 4th, 2016, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

maryannpdx

Post by maryannpdx » January 3rd, 2016, 8:55 am

kaltbluter wrote:I am very happy with my Kahtoola microspikes.
Me too. Got mine at REI years ago. They work great.
MaryannPDX

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 5th, 2016, 12:56 am

Has anyone tried the Hillsound Trail Crampons?

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 5th, 2016, 8:57 am

My wife and I each got a pair of these and used them in High Valley this past weekend with great results. The person who wrote the negative review probably caught one of the links on one of the spikes and broke it that way. They feel very well-made and worked great in 5-7 inches of snow with an icy layer under. The spikes are slightly longer than the Kahtoolas, which my friend has, but not as long as a crampon. Frozen waterfalls would be the ultimate test but we are happy customers.
Attachments
spikes.jpg
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

greglief

Post by greglief » January 5th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Here's another vote for kahtoola's MICROspikes. They have literally saved my butt many times, and are worth many times the price.
They also sell url=http://kahtoola.com/product/k10-hiking-crampon/]K*10 Hiking Crampons[/url], which could be handy for situations beyond the capabilities of their MICROspikes.

Although I have not tried the Hillsound Trail Crampons, they look similar to the MICROspikes so perhaps they would be good too.

Yaktrax: fantastic for icy sidewalks, insufficient for actual hiking.
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Kahtoola, definitely. They stay on, spikes are very slow to dull and can be easily sharpened if needed and the silicone based harness is long-lasting and weather resistant.

I've used other, cheaper brands and there is no comparison.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 5th, 2016, 3:33 pm

I had some Yaktrax. The rubber strips got nicked by a rock. Total failure.

Yaktrax are fine on pure snow or ice covered pavement, but mixed rock and snow is a problem.

Kahtoola better.

I've wrapped wire around my shoe - sort of works, very light weight and cheap.

Peder

Post by Peder » January 5th, 2016, 5:35 pm

windmtnpete wrote:It's a mystery to me why the manufacturers of boots have not explored this concept, unless there is no profit ($$$) since people can do this very easily and cheaply. A reminder that we are part of a system that rewards those who entrap people for their own gain, rather than making this a better world for everyone.
Tricouni nails was the most popular brand used for mountaineering boots during the first half of last century. The strength of the "Tricounis" was that they were much better suited for rock climbing than other boot nails. When crampons came along in the 1930s, these replaced the built in traction devices. The advantage with both crampons and microspikes is that they can be removed from the boot, so that you do not have to take off your boots to enter Multnomah Lodge!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Limey

Post by Limey » January 5th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Meindl, Jambu and National Geographic all sell boots that have retractable spikes. You pull out a handle in the back of the heel and turn it 360'. They sound interesting and are reasonably priced.