Best Microspikes?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
dfs1109

Re: Best Microspikes?

Post by dfs1109 » January 14th, 2016, 12:29 pm

I purchased a set of Hillsound crampons prior to learning about Kahtoola. I have only used these once to summit Mt Adams and they were perfectly! I was very impressed with traction and that they didn't slid and slip around when climbing or descending. If I remember correctly they were around $60.

Daniel
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 14th, 2016, 2:51 pm

dfs1109 wrote:I purchased a set of Hillsound crampons prior to learning about Kahtoola. I have only used these once to summit Mt Adams and they were perfectly! I was very impressed with traction and that they didn't slid and slip around when climbing or descending. If I remember correctly they were around $60.
Been hearing a lot of favorable impressions of these, and now REI is actively promoting them so we'll likely be seeing a lot more of them out there. I was most impressed that the spikes appear to be twice as long as Kahtoola's.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

obera

Post by obera » January 15th, 2016, 8:20 am

I know this is an older thread..

I'm a Hillsound Trail Crampon user! I've had them for years and they're great. I've used them to summit MSH, Adams and South Sister. No need to go full crampon, they provided just what I needed.

Here's why I like them:
The spikes are 3/4" vs the 1/2" of the Kahtoola - I like grippier.
There is a strap that goes over the top of the foot - they never move out of place.
I've used them for three winters now and nary a rust or defect issue, and I'm *not* gentle.

It seems that you can't go wrong with either the Kahtoola or Hillsound - but it's worth comparing! :)
oh-beer-ah