What are you hoping Hiking Santa brings you?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chazz

What are you hoping Hiking Santa brings you?

Post by Chazz » November 19th, 2015, 11:21 am

I always like to see what gadgets and gear people are wanting for the holidays.

I have it on good authority that an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree Enigma quilt will be found under the tree this year with my name on it.

Aimless

Re: What are you hoping Hiking Santa brings you?

Post by Aimless » November 19th, 2015, 12:25 pm

I've been steadily upgrading my gear and clothes, one item at a time, for about a decade now and I find myself in the very strange position of not needing or even wanting new gear this year. :shock: Now I need to get out there as often as I can and determinedly wear out what I've got! :D

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 19th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Aimless wrote:I've been steadily upgrading my gear and clothes, one item at a time, for about a decade now and I find myself in the very strange position of not needing or even wanting new gear this year. :shock: Now I need to get out there as often as I can and determinedly wear out what I've got! :D
DITTO! Although I would kind of like to try a pair of mittens out on a cold weather hike this winter. My fingers always get cold and I have to pull them into the palms in a clenched fist.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

AAdamsPDX

Post by AAdamsPDX » November 19th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Chazz wrote:I have it on good authority that an Enlightened Equipment 20 degree Enigma quilt will be found under the tree this year with my name on it.
My favorite piece of gear by far! You'll love it.
"The world begins where the road ends." ~Eddie Vedder
http://www.hriggsphotography.com/

forester

Post by forester » November 22nd, 2015, 4:42 pm

I'd kill for a couple double hook swively thingys.
wholesale-carabiners-metal-double-eye-swivel-snap.jpg_200x200.jpg
wholesale-carabiners-metal-double-eye-swivel-snap.jpg_200x200.jpg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Like that but plastic to save weight. Or a decent-sized swivelling carabiner. Would go a long way in keeping my camera and GPS tethers from tangling. Little thing but annoying.

Think I'm okay on most everything, though.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » November 25th, 2015, 8:58 am

We have snowshoes but we are in need of upgrades. If Hiking Santa could deliver a couple of pairs of these, along with two pairs of Kahtoola microspikes and a pulk so we can take our elderly dog with us on winter trips, that would be great :D .
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

miah66

Post by miah66 » November 25th, 2015, 9:58 am

sprengers4jc wrote:We have snowshoes but we are in need of upgrades. If Hiking Santa could deliver a couple of pairs of these, along with two pairs of Kahtoola microspikes and a pulk so we can take our elderly dog with us on winter trips, that would be great :D .
Those are really cool looking. I was surprised that they weigh 12 oz more than my MSR Lightnings, (4 lb 11 oz Vs 3 lb 15 oz) however. I kind of thought mine were heavy and that these might be way lighter...but checking the specs, it appears not. Still cool, though.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2015, 10:17 am

miah66 wrote:
sprengers4jc wrote:We have snowshoes but we are in need of upgrades. If Hiking Santa could deliver a couple of pairs of these, along with two pairs of Kahtoola microspikes and a pulk so we can take our elderly dog with us on winter trips, that would be great :D .
Those are really cool looking. I was surprised that they weigh 12 oz more than my MSR Lightnings, (4 lb 11 oz Vs 3 lb 15 oz) however. I kind of thought mine were heavy and that these might be way lighter...but checking the specs, it appears not. Still cool, though.
Wow, yeah, for all the carrying of snowshoes we seem to do anymore...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

obera

Post by obera » November 25th, 2015, 10:27 am

I've never been one for trekking poles, but recently took a borrowed set on a 19 mile hike and was hooked. SO, I've officially asked Santa for trekking poles. :)
oh-beer-ah

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 25th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Wait for Costco to put out their poles in the spring. $30-40 buys a great set of of carbon fiber locking poles that come in under a pound if you cut off the wrist straps.