What are you hoping Hiking Santa brings you?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
kepPNW

Re: What are you hoping Hiking Santa brings you?

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2015, 2:48 pm

Chazz wrote:Wait for Costco to put out their poles in the spring. $30-40 buys a great set of of carbon fiber locking poles that come in under a pound if you cut off the wrist straps.
Puzzling... To me, poles without a wriststrap wouldn't be any more useful than any ol' stick in the forest. That element is key to maximizing the payoff of having poles in the first place, not to mention allowing you a "quick release" without the need to bend over later on. Help me understand what possible reason there may be for such butchery? :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 25th, 2015, 3:20 pm

heheh... That's what makes us all different. I personally do not use the straps. Perhaps I have younger knees. But typically if I am putting my poles down for some reason, I will often lean them against something so I never have to bend to pick them back up.

You can also leave them on and have those poles weigh some insignificant amount over a pound. Your call.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 25th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Chazz wrote:heheh... That's what makes us all different. I personally do not use the straps. Perhaps I have younger knees. But typically if I am putting my poles down for some reason, I will often lean them against something so I never have to bend to pick them back up.

You can also leave them on and have those poles weigh some insignificant amount over a pound. Your call.
Yeah, it seems that weight is next to insignificant, given how it's carried. But using the straps "properly" you burn up to 30% more calories, as you employ your upper body in locomotion. (Especially uphill, you can shift into 4wd.) Braking is really enhanced, too, as you imply. I guess the poles are still good for balance, without straps, but I honestly wonder for what else? :)

EDIT: This should probably be in a separate thread. Sorry for the hijack! :P
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chase

Post by Chase » November 25th, 2015, 7:10 pm

I'm hoping for the new REI jawbone graft with the add-on gum graft, then some new teeth. Total weight should be about 3 oz., so not really adding much to my total weight.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 26th, 2015, 8:23 pm

I've been fascinated with the Solo Stove for a long time. I'm getting one from Santa. At least, I think so. Right now they're doing a buy one, get one free sale through tomorrow.

http://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-titan/
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

RobinB

Post by RobinB » December 2nd, 2015, 1:34 am

Crusak wrote:I've been fascinated with the Solo Stove for a long time. I'm getting one from Santa. At least, I think so. Right now they're doing a buy one, get one free sale through tomorrow.

That looks really cool, but man: 16.5 ounces, not including fuel? Maybe better for car camping or survival situations than backpacking?

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 3rd, 2015, 5:12 pm

RobinB wrote:
Crusak wrote:I've been fascinated with the Solo Stove for a long time. I'm getting one from Santa. At least, I think so. Right now they're doing a buy one, get one free sale through tomorrow.

That looks really cool, but man: 16.5 ounces, not including fuel? Maybe better for car camping or survival situations than backpacking?
Yeah, definitely a bit heavy for any backpacking trip that involves carrying gear for long distances. I'll probably use it on short trips with family members that don't like to hike in very far. :)

It's a stout device though, beefy and well made. I ordered one on Black Friday when they were 'buy one get one free' and I'll probably give the other one to my brother. My wife told me she's gonna wrap the one I'm keeping and put it under the tree.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » December 3rd, 2015, 7:47 pm

Chase wrote:I'm hoping for the new REI jawbone graft with the add-on gum graft, then some new teeth. Total weight should be about 3 oz., so not really adding much to my total weight.
Special order item, no doubt? I hope Hiking Santa brings you new teeth! :)
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 3rd, 2015, 9:18 pm

I don't think i need anything else but more time so I can go hiking! :lol: