Has anyone built their own tent?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
matimeo

Has anyone built their own tent?

Post by matimeo » November 4th, 2015, 10:32 am

I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the cost of lightweight tents. It seems like the decreasing marginal returns in this category of gear are much higher than those for things like sleeping bags. I've done a little googling and am thinking about building my own tent/shelter to lighten the load and build something customizable. I found a great site for buying silnylon (ripstopbytheroll.com) and my wife is pretty good with a sewing machine, so I think she could teach me.

Have any of you done anything like this. Any suggestions, sites to consider or resources that would be helpful to me in doing this?

Thanks!

retired jerry

Re: Has anyone built their own tent?

Post by retired jerry » November 4th, 2015, 11:11 am

I've made many tents

Not necesarily cheaper, because you get addicted and starting iterating :)

ripstopbytheroll is a good source

I wrote an article but you have to be a member to see it http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... jpbUNKrSt8

http://chrisroane.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... ramid.html wrote an article inluenced by me but all the pictures are gone

http://trailsandtracks.blogspot.com/201 ... -tent.html here's another similar one

I've made a number of models but prefer the pyramid design. You can sit up without touching the tent with your head - good if it's raining. Fairly lightweight. Easy because there are triangular pieces which is easier than curves

I could go on...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 5th, 2015, 7:09 am

recent post on another site http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... 169#910169

pyramid with ripstopbythe roll fabric

Koda

Post by Koda » November 5th, 2015, 8:11 am

matimeo wrote:I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the cost of lightweight tents. It seems like the decreasing marginal returns in this category of gear are much higher than those for things like sleeping bags.
Your not really paying for the materials. If your interest is in cost savings alone, your far better off just ponying up for production gear where the return on your investment is many years of use.

not to discourage you if your interested in it for other reasons. I've made a couple things because I couldn't find what I wanted in the stores, its fun and rewarding. I also have a couple ideas for a UL shelter but just don't have time.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 5th, 2015, 9:08 am

Done!

Chazz

Post by Chazz » November 5th, 2015, 9:48 am

I like the pyramid idea but I'd really like to have a interior tent with a sylnylon bathtub bottom and mesh sides. Perhaps that could be created separately and clip onto interior hooks.

matimeo

Post by matimeo » November 5th, 2015, 1:17 pm

I agree that purchasing a tent would be easier, but I am kind of excited about the challenge of a project like this.

The simple design I'm thinking of right now is one without any poles. It would have a tent body with a nylon floor and mostly mesh body, with a lightweight waterproof rain fly that covers it. The main tent body would have loops in the top, string a piece of paracord through and tie off on each end to a tree. Then the tarp just drapes over the top of the rope and is staked down.

That's just a preliminary thought. I want something fully enclosed with a floor and I think this would be pretty light, breathable and fairly functional.

Any thoughts?

Koda

Post by Koda » November 5th, 2015, 1:52 pm

matimeo wrote:I agree that purchasing a tent would be easier, but I am kind of excited about the challenge of a project like this.

The simple design I'm thinking of right now is one without any poles. It would have a tent body with a nylon floor and mostly mesh body, with a lightweight waterproof rain fly that covers it. The main tent body would have loops in the top, string a piece of paracord through and tie off on each end to a tree. Then the tarp just drapes over the top of the rope and is staked down.

That's just a preliminary thought. I want something fully enclosed with a floor and I think this would be pretty light, breathable and fairly functional.

Any thoughts?
except your limited in your site selection based on tree availability, where most likely will be the lumpiest spot. The design would sag in the middle a bit and wouldnt be able to stake out very stable especially in windy conditions. A simpler idea would be to replace your horizontal paracord with adjustable trekking poles and use the classic tried and true A-frame pup tent design... out of mesh, then drape a rainfly over that when needed.
kinda like what you do with the classic blue tarp Lurch is suggesting.

the one time we forgot our tent poles we used a blue tarp, classic A frame style worked great...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Granola22

Post by Granola22 » January 12th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Free and no weight added to the pack
This would be easiest and best utilized after a recent wind storm ;)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 12th, 2016, 4:43 pm

If you're looking for *one* go-to shelter type to be as universal as possible, I would generally recommend a modified A-Frame.
AFrame.jpg
Similar to what Koda posted, and it *can* be built with just a single pole and guy lines, but a full frame is probably the best practice. Dropping the tail end of the shelter makes it better in windy conditions, it retains heat a bit better, and the full frame makes it more durable wind, rain, and/or snow.