Loppers and other trail making tools

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
windmtnpete

Loppers and other trail making tools

Post by windmtnpete » October 31st, 2015, 7:57 am

Hello fellow trail folks,

I'm looking at getting some cool new gadgets for trail work on my local mountain trail and property here in the Columbia River Gorge this fall / winter season. Any input on useful tools / gadgets for trail or property maintenance will be much appreciated.
Last edited by windmtnpete on November 3rd, 2015, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Re: Loppers and other trail making tools

Post by retired jerry » October 31st, 2015, 9:33 am

ratcheting loppers give you mechanical advantage - you move handles and the cutters move a smaller distance. So you can put more force on the cut with the same amount of force on your arms.

Good for cutting bigger, tougher sticks.

The downside is that you have to move the handles a larger distance. It's a pain for cutting smaller, softer sticks.

Around yard, I have both. Sometimes one works better, sometimes the other

And sometimes hedge clippers are better. Much wider blades, like for cutting ferns, many stems at one time. But not so good for bigger sticks.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » October 31st, 2015, 12:03 pm

If the limb is big enough to need ratcheting loppers then I would use a different tool. They are too slow for my patience level :) I use a long skinny machete, a good pair of small hand pruners and a Corona pruning saw for trail maintenence. Keep the teeth clean on the saw and you'd be amazed how quickly it saws through down trees. I actually use it around my property more than my electric chain saw because it's quiet and I don't have to drag cords about.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 31st, 2015, 12:54 pm

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Garden ... -Lopper-32

I have this. Cuts through 2 inch branch in one stroke. But, like I said, you have to open it way up. If I'm cutting smaller branches then regular lopers are better.

If you're talking trail maintenance, then http://coronatoolsusa.com/rs-4040-razor ... -2-in.html is good. Much lighter. Can cut through 4 inch, maybe up to 8 inch branches. Yeah, if the teeth aren't gummed up, it cuts pretty easy. If I'm walking 20 miles, and I'm just cutting a few branches, the saw is much better.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 31st, 2015, 1:19 pm

Here's the loppers I've decided to buy...

<deleted> :shock:
Last edited by windmtnpete on November 12th, 2015, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » October 31st, 2015, 3:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-7160-Ra ... B00221Q3GU
I use this one. I've cut up to 16" with it but it makes super quick work of logs under 10". It's too big for carrying all the time but awesome around the house and when I plan to log out a trail.
Those loppers seem nice around the house but might be a bit heavy for trail maintenence. Should be good for rhodies though.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » November 2nd, 2015, 4:05 pm

Wow.... needed that saw today on Dog Mtn., there were some trees that have come down on the trail. What machete do you recommend?

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 5th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Ever since I clicked on a lopper link in this thread I'm now getting barraged with lopper ads.

Not sure how I feel about that.... :evil: :o :shock: :roll: :? :lol:

From my Facebook feed.
loppers.jpg
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » November 12th, 2015, 9:53 am

Peabody wrote:Ever since I clicked on a lopper link in this thread I'm now getting barraged with lopper ads.

Not sure how I feel about that.... :evil: :o :shock: :roll: :? :lol:

From my Facebook feed.
loppers.jpg
I've deleted the link, hope this helps? Just hoping we could share good information here, my bad.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 12th, 2015, 1:21 pm

if it was that easy

no, he's stuck with lopper ads for the rest of his existance