Next Adventure return policy

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
miah66

Next Adventure return policy

Post by miah66 » September 24th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I recently had an experience and wanted to share it.

I've been having some trouble finding footwear. I have tried on about every pair of shoes out there, and haven't had much luck. I recently found a pair that seemed like a good fit (literally). The problem is that they fit in the store and varying degrees of comfort, but it's tough to simulate trail conditions indoors. Most places that aren't REI will not allow you to return merchandise worn outside. When I got the shoes, I was told they would accept returns in 30 days w/ the receipt in new condition. The receipt says something to the effect that "Used Gear can be returned for store credit w/in 10 days". I assumed this meant I could wear the shoes on the trails and if they didn't feel good, I could bring them back for store credit to get another pair. Perhaps that was naive, but that is what the receipt says. Turns out, that "used gear" bit pertains to the bargain basement of used gear that they sell, not new merchandise that has been "used". OOPS!

I wore them around the house for several hours and they seemed fine. I wore them out on a hike and that is where they caused problems. After a couple miles of climbing they began to create hotspots on my heels and soon the problem forced me to tape my heels up. I've never had to resort to this before. I have actually never gotten blisters on a hike, and my feet are usually just fine. On the descent, the heel problem went away and then the pounding on the downhill started to really take a toll on the soles of my feet. They were throbbing and sore. Again, I've never had this problem before, so I'm definitely feeling that it is the shoes. They're going back! They were not damaged in any way, and looked like new. The tags were in the box, but not attached.

I was initially given the okay to return the shoes by the front counter person, and in the meantime I found another pair to try. I was helped by the shoe dept manager, John. He was helpful and patient. When i went up to finalize my transaction, another employee had taken over at the front counter and she was not having it. She pointedly told me that my understanding was not their policy at all, and basically told me to try to take my shoes downstairs and sell them as used, but they would not be accepting my return, even for store credit. Just as an aside, how much do you wager the basement would give me for my $125 shoe purchase one day earlier? $20? maybe $25? I was not happy!

They sent me back to talk to the manager, who coincidentally had helped me try on shoes and I had explained the problems I was having with them. Again, he was understanding and agreed to make an exception and allow me to return the shoes and I was able to exchange them for a different pair. I think he had to go out on a limb for me, and I appreciate that he did that.

Just a word to the wise!

FYI here is the pair I initially bought.

What I ended up with:

We'll see how it goes, but I'll probably have to house hike for few weeks before I wear them outside!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Koda

Re: Next Adventure return policy

Post by Koda » September 24th, 2015, 3:07 pm

I thought REIs return policy was 1 year for all new items?

someone once told me that when you find footware that you fall in love with to go back that year and get a second pair or more. I of course never did this and even the same make model of hiking boot many years later was no longer the same fit and I've never found the perfect pair since. Although I've come close recently, duct tape accompanies me now on every adventure.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 24th, 2015, 6:01 pm

I'm a bit confused here... You say you're having trouble finding footwear, and then continue to say that you've never had problems with shoes? With the exception of maybe REI as Koda has said, I can't think of anywhere that will accept returns on shoes, especially after you've done a multi mile hike in them, just as the cashier told you.. It's a bit ridiculous to expect that IMO.

Koda

Post by Koda » September 24th, 2015, 8:18 pm

the way I read it, it sounds like hes describing a misunderstanding between what he was told and what the actual store policy is.
?
miah66 wrote:I was initially given the okay to return the shoes by the front counter person, and in the meantime I found another pair to try. I was helped by the shoe dept manager, John. He was helpful and patient. When i went up to finalize my transaction, another employee had taken over at the front counter and she was not having it. She pointedly told me that my understanding was not their policy at all,

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 25th, 2015, 7:36 am

Lurch wrote:I'm a bit confused here... You say you're having trouble finding footwear, and then continue to say that you've never had problems with shoes? With the exception of maybe REI as Koda has said, I can't think of anywhere that will accept returns on shoes, especially after you've done a multi mile hike in them, just as the cashier told you.. It's a bit ridiculous to expect that IMO.
That is true. I have never had blisters or any other problems w/ my feet before this latest fiasco. I guess I was just lucky in having picked footwear. Now I can't seem to find anything to work. My feet have changed somewhat since I've been hiking and backpacking so that might have something to do with it. I've been wearing worn out trail runners and they're giving me all sorts of problems. Blisters, fasciitis, etc.

Yea, I was told I could exchange them, so that's what I did. No sense wasting $125 on a pair of shoes I'll never wear again. I misunderstood the policy, but they worked with me and that's all I was trying to say. REI is not as restrictive, so they get my business most of the time, and will continue to until I find a pair of shoes that works. Then I'll buy two pairs! :lol:

Instagram @pdxstrider

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 25th, 2015, 8:29 am

I just returned a pair of boots to REI after taking them on several hikes. They fit fine, but they were literally coming apart at the seams, in one spot. That shouldn't happen after just a couple months of use, so I had no qualms about availing myself of their liberal return policy.

miah66

Post by miah66 » September 25th, 2015, 8:33 am

I've done that before too, Adam. In fact, the first pair of boots that fit great and I loved hiking in were a pair that came apart at the seams after only 6 months of hiking in them. I paid $200 for them and figured they would last at least one season! They went back and I've been searching in vain ever since. There's a reason they have a used gear sale and people line up on the sidewalk to get stuff!

Instagram @pdxstrider

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 25th, 2015, 8:38 am

miah66 wrote:There's a reason they have a used gear sale and people line up on the sidewalk to get stuff!
Yeah, I think someone will be pretty happy to find mine at the Used Gear Sale... the soles are still in excellent shape.

Koda

Post by Koda » September 25th, 2015, 9:15 am

Miah, your not alone with footwear woes… for years I had one pair of Vasque GTX lightweight hikers that fit me perfect I wore those out literally until they exploded on a hike. Satisfied with that performance I happily went and bought the same exact pair… wore them around town/work etc. for a couple of weeks to break them in no issues then took them on a backpack around Mt Hood where on the first day I had severe blisters and by the end of the second day I had so severe blisters it shut the hike down I practically crawled to the next camp (IIRC we were planning on only 1 night). I toughed it out but it completely ruined the hike in that regard. That was 2007 and I’ve never found a perfect pair of hiking footware since despite buying about 5 pairs including more recently one return to REI after hiking in it only a couple months (Lowa Renegades delaminated)…. The employee did raise an eyebrow but another employee stepped in and said no problem.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 25th, 2015, 9:36 am

I have two pairs of mid height boots. Fit me fine for a number of trips. Then they started giving me blisters so I switched to a size bigger. Now, a year later, I'm trying those mid height boots again and they're fine.

Maybe you're feet get sore over a period of a couple trips, so if you switch out different boots it's better?