Water Filtration

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chazz

Re: Water Filtration

Post by Chazz » February 26th, 2016, 10:47 am

Here's a MYOG gravity-fed filter system based off a Sawyer Mini:

http://sectionhiker.com/myog-a-gravity- ... an-taylor/

8.4oz and no need for hand-pumping liters of water or risk your squeeze bag popping a seam.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 26th, 2016, 11:16 am

Any draw back to the inline Sawyer Mini system?
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan

forester

Post by forester » February 26th, 2016, 11:51 am

Here's a mini setup:

This takes just a few minutes to put together. Counting unwrapping and flushing, maybe 10 minutes. I've never had this type of connection leak or come apart. Same with the 3-way and plastic connectors.
dfs1109 wrote:Any draw back to the inline Sawyer Mini system?
For me/us, no. I even throw the one pictured in the car on family vacations to use in hotels in case the water is nasty. The water pulls through easily, definitely more like a soda than a milkshake. Flow isn't a noticeable detraction. My 4-year old uses it, no problems or complaints. I've read about people having dirty bags and clean bags and all that. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a lot of work, comparatively.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 26th, 2016, 2:08 pm

I used Steripen a little but the batteries kept dying after just a few pints. But, if you make sure and bring a set of new, brand name betteries it's probably good, a lot of poeple like it.

I use Sawyer Squeeze. And re-used 1 liter soda bottle. Works best for me.

I have heard Sawyer Mini is smaller filter, so it plugs up easier, but other people use it successfully.

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 27th, 2016, 11:51 am

For me/us, no. I even throw the one pictured in the car on family vacations to use in hotels in case the water is nasty. The water pulls through easily, definitely more like a soda than a milkshake. Flow isn't a noticeable detraction. My 4-year old uses it, no problems or complaints. I've read about people having dirty bags and clean bags and all that. Maybe I'm missing something but that seems like a lot of work, comparatively.
I was actually curious about the flow of water. Thank you for the info and photo!

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 27th, 2016, 11:52 am

retired jerry wrote:I used Steripen a little but the batteries kept dying after just a few pints. But, if you make sure and bring a set of new, brand name betteries it's probably good, a lot of poeple like it.

I use Sawyer Squeeze. And re-used 1 liter soda bottle. Works best for me.

I have heard Sawyer Mini is smaller filter, so it plugs up easier, but other people use it successfully.
Thanks for the info Jerry! After more research I figured the batteries would be an issue.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 27th, 2016, 12:01 pm

dfs1109 wrote:I was actually curious about the flow of water.
dfs1109 wrote:Any draw back to the inline Sawyer Mini system?
the drawback to the Sawyer vs traditional pump filters is it can be slower to fill your container with filtered water. This isn’t a big inconvenience IMO its not slow enough to consider the weight and space/size of a pump system. The Sawyer is a gravity filter, it takes time to trickle thru the filter.... however there is a technique that makes it as virtually as fast as a pump, you can squeeze the water thru the filter. In camp I actually sit on the unfiltered side (this makes for some comical remarks...) and fill any containers I need for the time in camp. All said and done using the squeeze method I dont see a pump being too much faster. Again, the weight and space/size savings is far greater with the Sawyer.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » February 27th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Tamey wrote:I have been watching youtube videos, and listening to other hikers on what type of water filtration they use while on the trail. As of yet I have not really decided on any brand of water filtration.
The one that keeps coming out on the top of my list is called ARIXX by Puritii.
The reason I like it more than others Ive investigated is that it not only clean out Bacteria, it also cleans out viruses. Also, it seems to be easy to use in that its just a water bottle and not a filtered hose I have to put into some water source and pump the water into yet another bottle.

You can see the video of it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAiKdkeKE94

or: http://puritii.com/water/index.html

If anyone has any advice on the lightest, and most effective water filtration system, I am ready to listen.

Thanks
T
keep in mind the Sawyer, being somewhat modular, can work the same as the ARIXX filter bottle when set up the way Forester does in his post (see his photo), is one of the lightest and most effective filter systems. He can just dunk is reservoir in the source and drink... or from there squeeze (or use gravity) into other containers... again the Sawyer is more modular like that where the ARIXX is not.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 27th, 2016, 12:52 pm

"After more research I figured the batteries would be an issue."

A lot of people successfully use and swear by Steripen. You should be okay if you have a spare set of batteries, or if you freshly charge just before leaving if it has internal lithium battery.

Sawyer filters can plug up. Again, you can mostly eliminate this problem if you backflush after you get back home and again before you leave on next trip. If flow is too low, backflush with warm water or vinegar and flush a lot - like hook up to water faucet. I've never had to do this though. And if you let it freeze, it may fail, but there's no good way to determine if it's brokwn.

Both solutions have problems but can work.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 27th, 2016, 1:03 pm

retired jerry wrote:A lot of people successfully use and swear by Steripen.
I think the only reason people use the Steripen successfully is because in reality most places in the PNW you don’t even really need to filter your water at all.
Keep in mind the Steripen doesn’t filter any sediment at all something to consider in places where you only water source is a small lake or pond and a swift moving stream is no-where to be found. :lol: